More Creativity Through Modelers?

JPXTom

Recently i brought my old Digitech RP200 out and started messing around...and instead of plugging it in to my mixer, or amp...i plugged it into the line in on my upstairs computer...And I've gotta say, with the right tweaking this thing sounds really really good...And unlike micing my amp, which takes for ever to get the right levels/right tone...I get the sound i want instantly, give or take a few minutes messing around with EQ, Effects etc...So I'm curious..has the ease of modelers ever brought about more creativity in you? It has with me...its taken time out of setting up a rig to record, and just getting to the recording/idea making.

Recently i brought my old Digitech RP200 out and started messing around...and instead of plugging it in to my mixer, or amp...i plugged it into the line in on my upstairs computer...And I've gotta say, with the right tweaking this thing sounds really really good...And unlike micing my amp, which takes for ever to get the right levels/right tone...I get the sound i want instantly, give or take a few minutes messing around with EQ, Effects etc...So I'm curious..has the ease of modelers ever brought about more creativity in you? It has with me...its taken time out of setting up a rig to record, and just getting to the recording/idea making.

I'd like to hear samples of your results.

I have a pod and well, modeler never sound better (unless you have low end amps and recording equip) but they can sound ok. set up is a breeze and you same sound for punch ins a week later, almost impossible with mics. Plus you can record at 2 am and not wake the rest of the family a huge plus. IMHO they are great for getting ideas out and down as scratch tracks but cannot sound as good as a mic'ed tube amp.

I have a pod and well, modeler never sound better (unless you have low end amps and recording equip) but they can sound ok. set up is a breeze and you same sound for punch ins a week later, almost impossible with mics. Plus you can record at 2 am and not wake the rest of the family a huge plus. IMHO they are great for getting ideas out and down as scratch tracks but cannot sound as good as a mic'ed tube amp.

I agree, however if u through in cost for both, one is a lot better than the other..for a pretty decent sound.

Plus you can record at 2 am and not wake the rest of the family a huge plus.

That's what I like about them also.

I have an RP150 and find the USB connection very useful. It's so much easier to dial in what you want on the computer than to turn knobs and look at what LED is lit. I don't use the usb for an audio connection, just for the controller app. I still run audio through my mixer.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,

Plus you can record at 2 am and not wake the rest of the family a huge plus.

That was the big one for me - I gave it to a buddy a while back since it matters less these days, but back in college I used to use a J-Station to record. The "Blackface" and Mark-II and Recto models still sound more organic than many of the Line6 versions I've played, once you dial out some of the overpowering low end...

Anyway, the way it helped my "creativity" was that it allowed me to track at 4AM when people around me were asleep, and sometimes that puts you in a different place, mentally...

As far as a sketch pad goes, they are neat, but, what I've found is that if you have an amp that does something better than any amp on the planet it is special and it effects the way that you write. I switched from an overdriven sound to a snarling monster clean of a Sound City Concord modded with Alnico speakers, a filter choke, and Partridge transformer out of a 50 plus. Now the amp does one thing and one thing only, sounds wonderful and huge with my Hagstrom 12 string, but it completely changed the way that I wrote songs and I think through that I became a more versatile guitar player. There's songs that just are inherent in the guitar that you pick up or the amp that you plug into and I think that's somewhat being lost with these modeling instruments.

Back