Midi Program for Lead Guitar - ala Addictive Drums?

Drummerbones

For those of you familiar with Addictive Drums it basically lets you create your own beats from scratch or use sample fills etc. I'm looking for a similar program that has built-in guitar licks in certain keys (4 beat lick, 3 beat lick etc.) that I can use to create realistic lead guitar parts. I'm an excellent rhythm player but I do all of my own stuff these days and am looking to expand. Aside from hiring a real player, no offense, any advise as to what might be a good fit for my needs? "Canned riffs in a box". Surely it exists. Thanks - Bones

That sucks...Addictive Drums is so realistic no one can even tell, or even believes me when I tell them, that it's not me actually playing the drums live...

Nothing to the best of my knowledge. You could post up in the Mp3 clinic or here and look for players to collaborate with you.

Wow, no company has created a program with lead riffs in specific keys and time signatures, samples if you will, for this purpose? I say we start a company and create one! Midi programming might not be realistic but having live licks that are pre-recorded and can be moved around, pitch shifted etc. sounds totally plausible. I'm amazed there isn't such a program...absolutely amazed. Thanks anyway gang, I guess I'll have to keep slowing my songs way down so I can pull of the leads I want, then speeding them back up to real time...sucks.

That's also going to sound like ass, and is a practice most guitarists would frown on even more than using MIDI.

Seriously, man, your best bet is to post up looking for people to collaborate with.

[...and the apocalypse begins.]

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you consider yourself a strong rhythm guitarist, I'd suggest you use the situation as an opportunity to better your craft. If, as you say, you are "looking to expand," you should be expanding your abilities rather than expanding your collection of software tools that require no little effort or talent (and will sound like shit).

[...and the apocalypse begins.]

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you consider yourself a strong rhythm guitarist, I'd suggest you use the situation as an opportunity to better your craft. If, as you say, you are "looking to expand," you should be expanding your abilities rather than expanding your collection of software tools that require no little effort or talent (and will sound like shit).

+1

Honestly, if you're already an "excellent" rhythm player, then unless you're looking for Yngwie Malmsteem in a box getting together some fundamental lead chops isn't THAT hard - really the hardest part is getting your bends accurate and developing a decent vibrato, which you might already have if you do a lot of riffing.

I don't disagree, but guys, I'm a busy man with a hectic job, a wife and two kids, I travel a lot for work, I'm finishing up my masters degree and I've been commissioned to provide the music for a regional television show. I don't have time to practice lead guitar for an hour every day, or even a few times a week. I'm happy when I get a decent meal in! With all honesty, I am one badass drummer, but I choose these days to use Addictive Drums because it allows me the flexibility to change my mind later on certain parts/dynamics, it's totally convincing and at the end of the day, I just want a great sounding product. All that aside, if the tools aren't there for what I need, they're not there. Thank you all for your input.

Believe me, I completely understand how life intrudes, and I'm not gonna beat up on you.

Consider this, though. The reason you can get good results out of Addictive Drums is that you are a drummer, and you understand what drums are supposed to sound like. You recognize what is possible and what is not, and your successful use of the software is a result of your knowledge.

Same with any instrument sim. You have to have a certain mastery of the instrument before your sim is going to sound realistic. You're gonna have to learn to play lead anyway so get to it! :drunk:

No, I hear you, man - I'm juggling a full-time-and-then-some job, a pretty aggressive search for a job I hate a bit less than my current one, studying for the second CFA exam, and I moved at the beginning of the month on top of trying to record an album of my own. It sucks, but as they say - "high quality, quick, and easy, pick two of three."

I'd be a little more sympathetic to your situation if your attitude wasn't like you thought we were holding out on you, like we all had this uber-pimp MIDI program WE used to cut our guitar parts, but we weren't going to share.

That said, if I were in your shoes, with a commercial project you needed some lead fills for in a hurry, I'd do what the pros do - hire a session player.

Thanks Drew. If my attitude is coming across that I think you guys are holding out on me that's certain not my intention or how I feel so we can put that to bed. To insert my head into the lyon's mouth, is Slayer 2 a program, be it good or sh*t, similar to what I've been asking about? Here's the link:

http://refx.com/?page=products/slayer2/summary

If so, has anyone here used it? I haven't seen it talked about at all with the search function. Even if you guys think it sucks, which it probably does, if this does what I'm looking for it'd at least be fun to try the demo.Thanks

That's also
Seriously, man, your best bet is to post up looking for people to collaborate with.

This IS the answer.

There are a million guitar players out there who will be more than happy to do some leads for you.I can play a little bit of lead,but I've had guys do leads for me just because I was stuck creatively and it was just what I need to get the song done.

I've heard lots of convincing drum programs but the guitar stuff...eeewwww

http://refx.com/?page=products/slayer2/summary

If so, has anyone here used it? I haven't seen it talked about at all with the search function. Even if you guys think it sucks, which it probably does, if this does what I'm looking for it'd at least be fun to try the demo.Thanks

Never even heard of it, but give the demo a try.

Hell, man, push comes to shove if you tell me the sort of sound you're after and it's something that I can get you, I'd be perfectly happy to audition to add a couple lead fills onto your stuff. I'm pretty damned busy too, but I can probably add fills on a guitar faster than you can sequence them.

Back