micing a stack

jal

i do not know how to mic a tack without getting a muddy sound like its coming out of a cardboard box, they r my nemisis in recording, help. ive tried micing the room and closse micing it and both at the same time all i get is mud. thanx to any future replies. Jal

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jal:
...all i get is mud<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Using a high SPL (sound pressure level) wide dynamic range microphone?

A SM57 should work fine. What are you recording into? What kind of stack? I use to record with a Marshall JCM900 (WLes Paul studio gtr.) and it sounded killer . In fact it didn't even matter how it was miked it just sounded kick ass. I got a lot of compliments on the guitar sound , when people heard our demo tape. Well, I regret selling it! I'm now recording with a Bedrock head and I get a lot of mud. But I finally figured out that it is my 8-track's mic preamps. I plugged my shure sm57 into my drummers Mackie board before I went into my machine and it sounded a lot better. It's hard to say what your problem is because you left out so much info. But like I said, if it doesn't sound good with a decent dynamic mic (sm57)(and assuming everything else in your recording chain is quality), then your amp or amp/gtr doesn't sound good. recording can be very unforgiving, sometimes we jam live and we THINK we sound great , but reality hits us when we begin to record and our instruments/performance are under close scrutiny.

well at the time i posted i was trying to mic a bassman 100 stack he uses it for his guitar cause he loves the low end on it. well if you dont know what it is its basically an omni amp, 4 speakers each pointing a different way. i tried my ev/257nd its a large dynamic mic(i use it for the kick drum and love it), oh this bassman is also a closed back. well i hope thats better info for u, thanx,
jal

If you have isolation with eye contact, you can sit in the control room and listen through headphones as your assistant slowly moves the mic around in front of the cone untill it sounds good to ya... Then signal him to stop and set it up...
If you record guitars alone (like me) then you are S.O.L...

thanx s8-n like i didnt know that i was s.o.l. did u even read my message, lol. no seriously ill try that ive done it before but at the time i was really in a hury, and no ass.

Back