To mic or not to Mic that is the question

Mr. Kelly

Can I DI my guitar and bass for recording? how much is it going to affect the sound? and If I do have to mic them what kinda of mic should I use and what frequesncy range am I looking for?

Hey there Mr. Kelly!
Normally I am not a big fan of running gtr direct. But it depends on the situation and what fx you have the gtr going through and that sort of thing. You can go DI with gtr but keep in mind the sound is going to be missing attitude. Take away the amp and you take away the character of the insturment.It is going to sound a little flat and I don't mean pitch. The only thing I have heard that sounds great direct is the POD.
Bass on the other hand sounds great when taken direct so no problem there.
As far as what to mic your gtr with, I would use the ol'SM57 or SM58 take your pick they both work fine and will get the job done.

Thats interesting that you mention the POD, I was considering purchasing a POD, if I can sell my ME-35. should I wait for POD2 to come out?

I hate to sound like a broken record but I get very good results from my 505 on DI recordings. Alot of my recording is done late at night so Direct input is the best way for me to stay out of jail. Once you learn how to dial in the sounds you are looking for with the 505 it is easy to understand why it is called the poorman's Pod. The direct in with the Bass is another story however :D

Well as you would hate to sound like a broken record I'd hate to sound like a moron, I've never heard of the 505, what is it? a DI box, a processor?

You should mic your amp if you have a good one. If its late keep it quiet. Keep it quiet anyway. There is NO SOUND that is like the sound of tube burning. The POD tries, but alas, it fails. you can use any mic, really, because youre not really gonna need anything below 60Hz.. but I use a RODE NT2, and it kicks. Its perfect and its silent.

xoxox

I have used a Zoom 505 direct.
I got some great sounds when I used it on my Tascam 424mk11. Since then I have upgraded to an Adat and it doesn't sound good there. The tape added a little something to the sound.
It would probably sound good digitally if you went through an mp first. I havent tried it since I bought a POD.
Now I go from my guitar to a POD to Art mp to Adat and it sounds sweet.
For leads or a tubey blues/jazz sound I use a Marshal powerbrake on my Deville 4x10 to get the tubes really hot at a low volume, then sm57 miked cone to the mixer, Rode nt1 as an ambient mike to the mp into the Adat.It sounds very sweet but,theres alot of setup time miking the amp and sometimes I'm lazy....POD
Jas

Back