Mesa/Boogie Recto recording pre-amp

blinder

Hello all, okay, I am trying to make a decision here. I'm fed up with my toy amp modeling crap! I had a POD, hated it, had the JStation, its okay, like it for my bass, but guitar sounds, crap. I know, lots of people like the POD, its me, I know, it just doesn't produce the sound I like.

Anyway, so I'm looking at the Mesa/Boogie recto recording pre-amp. I've read lots of very positive reviews (including those at Harmony Central). But, I haven't actually *heard* it yet. My local Guitar Center doesn't carry it, and when I asked about it, all I got was a blank stare (yeah, shocking I know).

So, anyone have this? Anyone have any samples they'd like to share?

Also... I'm looking at the Vox ToneLab modeler, I listened to some of the samples on the vox site, but since I ***hate*** the shredding-style of playing (the fret-board masturbation routine) -- I have a hard time determining if its right for me (I play mostly punk, emocore, melodic type of stuff).

The essence of my problem is that I live in a townhouse, and as much as I'd love to crank up a Marshall 4x12 cab and mic it -- that just isn't going to happen. So, I'm desperate to get as close to that warm, full distortion and tone... I've got the guitar (LP standard) -- but the sound is so very elusive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mesa/boogie recto pre

I just purchased the recto pre amp. I record direct through the pre into cubase sx. The Recto along with cubase has so far turned out some amazing results. The Recto has a lot of options to help mould just about any type of sound you are looking for. I like the fact that it sounds like a real amp when recording direct. Once I become more comfortable with the device I could give a more detailed review, however my first impression are definitely favourable.

Back