Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Massive clean/distortion volume discrepancy, tube head.

Thanks

Massive clean/distortion volume discrepancy, tube head.

Sign in to disable this ad
    On my newish Peavey 3120, there is a huge volume discrepancy between clean and gain channels. It makes sense there would be one, but i wondered if its normal for it to be this big.

At practise, if i have the master at about 7.5, for the gain to be loud enough it has to be on 6 or 7ish, and for the clean to be quiet enough it has to be on literally less than 1. And sometimes thats too loud if i happen to hit a chord on clean particularly hard. I'm not after "buy a compressor, hit your strings less hard" advice, just wondered if this amount of discrepancy is normal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE7AeaDhUuo

My bands newest music video. Synth laced prog rock.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chamelious View Post
    On my newish Peavey 3120, there is a huge volume discrepancy between clean and gain channels. It makes sense there would be one, but i wondered if its normal for it to be this big.

At practise, if i have the master at about 7.5, for the gain to be loud enough it has to be on 6 or 7ish, and for the clean to be quiet enough it has to be on literally less than 1. And sometimes thats too loud if i happen to hit a chord on clean particularly hard. I'm not after "buy a compressor, hit your strings less hard" advice, just wondered if this amount of discrepancy is normal.
    Doesn't that amp have pre and post gain level controls on the channels as well as a master volume? If so, that's what the post gain is there for, to dial down the output level from the hot preamp.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Doesn't that amp have pre and post gain level controls on the channels as well as a master volume? If so, that's what the post gain is there for, to dial down the output level from the hot preamp.
    Theres a volume control for each channel, and a master. Thats what i'm saying, its controllable by using the master, but theres such a huge difference, i never thought i'd have to run a 120w tube amp on 3/4 master, 3/4 volume on the gain channel just to play at a band practise.

Thanks
    I am not sure I follow you, but that amp looks to be laid out fairly normal.

The question I ask is why is your master that high if your clean is too loud on 1? Have you already dime'd the lead/rhythm Volume? If you haven't should be using that and using the Master on the far left as a global volume to control both channels together so you don't have to mess with both if you need to raise or lower volume.

Try this, disregard the 2nd and 3rd channel. Make the clean channel sound good. Probably about 5-6 on the volume control, then your Master will be anywhere from 1-10 depending on the volume you want for that moment.

Now mess with channels 2 and 3. Put the Gain about half way, then raise the Volume controls to match that of channel 1. Now adjust the gain to taste and then a final tuning of the Volume It doesn't matter where they are in the rotation, as long as the perceived volume matches when you go back and forth.

And then use the global Master to adjust each time you play to suit your actual volume needs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaws View Post
    I am not sure I follow you, but that amp looks to be laid out fairly normal.

The question I ask is why is your master that high if your clean is too loud on 1? Have you already dime'd the lead/rhythm Volume? If you haven't should be using that and using the Master on the far left as a global volume to control both channels together so you don't have to mess with both if you need to raise or lower volume.

Try this, disregard the 2nd and 3rd channel. Make the clean channel sound good. Probably about 5-6 on the volume control, then your Master will be anywhere from 1-10 depending on the volume you want for that moment.

Now mess with channels 2 and 3. Put the Gain about half way, then raise the Volume controls to match that of channel 1. Now adjust the gain to taste and then a final tuning of the Volume It doesn't matter where they are in the rotation, as long as the perceived volume matches when you go back and forth.

And then use the global Master to adjust each time you play to suit your actual volume needs.
    If i had my clean channel on 6, my gain channel wouldn't be loud enough to compete even with its volume on full.

Its not a "problem" as such, i just thought it was odd and wondered if there might be a problem with a tube or something.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chamelious View Post
    If i had my clean channel on 6, my gain channel wouldn't be loud enough to compete even with its volume on full.

Its not a "problem" as such, i just thought it was odd and wondered if there might be a problem with a tube or something.
    You have a broken amp or you are missing something.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaws View Post
    You have a broken amp or you are missing something.
    Really? Maybe i'll give Peavey tech support see what they say

Thanks
    Chamelious, are you using the footswitch, or switching at the front panel?
    Zaphod B
    Two-Headed President of the Galaxy (in exile)
    Tunes at http://www.soundclick.com/cowtowntommyboy
    "I have educated. I know what asshole is. "

Thanks
    oh for Gods' sake!

YES, it can be normal to have that large a discrepancy between the two channels.

If you know the secret codes you can get by the mastering boss on level 8.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    oh for Gods' sake!

YES, it can be normal to have that large a discrepancy between the two channels.

If he has the gain and volume of the lead channel at 10? There is no reason for the clean to be at 1.

Thread Information