Making a floyd rose a "hardtail"

Guitarfreak585

Actually, it's really more of a strat style bridge now, but still not quite the same thing. I installed the floydupgrades.com brass trem stopper today on my LTD M-1000, and so far it seems to work wonderfully. See, I dont use the floyd like I thought I would. It does work very well, but after a few tugs and dives, it does go out of tune a bit. So I quit using it. But I love my guitar, and I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon. But playing in a cover band, and trying to learn different bands songs, occasionally, I need to put it in a "standard" tuning (standard for me would be standard D since I'm normally in drop C). But as most people with an FR equipped guitar know, this is a pain in the dick to do without retuning the whole damn thing. So I had this idea!

397134_10150749263450299_710465298_12244384_998453022_n.jpg

The machined brass piece screws into the guitar in two places. And you use the adjustable screw running through it to pick a "fixed" resting position for your bridge. Now that takes care of the "floating" part of the trem. But I wanted to make sure that it stayed in that spot, so I added another spring to the back like you see, and it works great. It feels solid, no wobble at all. And no change in the other strings when tuning it ANYMORE. Super excited about it.

That looks good, I have had love/hate relationships with my 2 Floyd guitars for years. This is a good modification.

VP

Good looking mod you got there - to bad you have to drill into the floyd otherwise you could patent it.
I use a wood block. It gets me by but I still can't do double stops.

Its not actually drilled into the block. The screw that runs through the brass L bracket is blunt at the end. The springs are just pulling it back against it.

Its built buy the same people that built the tremelno. I got it from floydupgrades.com like i said up there. Though im not using it for their exact intended purpose.

Looks good, maybe the tension of four springs could yank those two screws outta the body tho?

for what it`s worth, often when a floating bridge tends to NOT come back in tune after a dive, or pull, it`s what they call the "knifes edge" which is the issue..one of two things needs to happen to fix it, either lube the posts at the knifes edge with 3 in 1, (or oddley enough, some people say chapstick..LOL), or you need to file/fix the knifes edge it`s self...
here`s a link explaining it..

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup

I probably wont be doing much diving anyways. I mainly did this just to make it a "hardtail" in theory.

The second screw is purely just so the thing keeps pointing in the same direction. The one underneath the adjustable allenscrew is whats holding it in, and that definitely may be worth gorilla gluing in.

For 70 bucks (45 more than the trem stopper) and a boatload of features that neither work well according to user reviews nor will i use?

Nah Im good.

What about the old standard: wood blocks?

Or, for what you could sell a floyd rose for, you can buy a nice hardtail.

Gotta say, myself buying a guitar with a floating bridge was a silly mistake. Stuff like that comes in handy. Still much rather just buy a new guitar though. =P

For 70 bucks (45 more than the trem stopper) and a boatload of features that neither work well according to user reviews nor will i use?

Nah Im good.

Let me guess... reviews from high schoolers, with no real guitar technician skills, trying to slap it onto their $250 Squier or bottom-line Ibanez, and aren't installing it correctly and carefully.

On a Jackson USA custom shop Randy V, it works like butter. Like magic.

Your call.

I would never want to put a stop on a Floyd rose. I don't think I've ever gotten one that didn't go right back into tune. So, that's pretty crazy. There is actually a lot of beautiful sounding things you can do with a Floyd rose and plenty of wicked sounding heavy metal things as well.

Back