madeira (guild)

v6v6v6

hey, does anyone know about these guitars? i've looked on the web and the information is pretty sparse.

- built in the late 60's, 70's
- built in japan, and later korea
- distributed by guild (i read about a guy who contacted guild and they said they have no records of the madeira because of mismanagement??)

anyway, i bought myself a fairly cheap madeira 12-string on ebay in the hopes that it would have a somewhat similar tone to the old guilds. the seller didn't really know much about it... she said it had a label inside which said "AM-12 Model by Guild". i'll be getting it early next week.

any info is appreciated!

nope, that's not my post but that might be a good place to ask about this since fender owns guild. thanks!

v6v6v6 said:
hmm, nobody has experience with the madeira?
I bought a Madeira bass in 1972. It was used at the time. I Recorded 3 albums with it. I was very satisfied with it. Actually restrung it today and lemon-oiled the fretboard. Wiring still perfect. Holds tuning well. Neck is still perfectly straight. If you were asking hypothetically without actually having seen one, it looks exactly like a Gibson SG body. The word "Madeira" on the headstock is in upper and lower case script and appears to be mother-of-pearl. The neck-plate on the back says, "Adjusted and distributed by Guild." Below that, in smaller letters, is the dreaded "Made in Japan." Hope this helps.

Wow, I'm surprised you found this thread--it's 6 months old to the date. :)

Thanks for the info on your Madeira. I didn't realize they made basses and I'm glad yours turned out great.

I've since received my 12-string and it's not what I expected. It's a laminate acoustic and obviously lacks the sound quality I was hoping for. I bought a 70's Yahama acoustic before this and the sound is Taylor-like for a fraction of the price, so I was hoping to find the same quality. But the gamble didn't work out.

Nevertheless, it's in great condition and I'll probably keep it for awhile.

Madeira guitars

I just recieved a madeira guitar from my brother bought on-line, sure enough
the label inside said "distributed exclusively by guild" I'm impressed with the
quality of the craftmanship it's certainly nice to look at however it has a crack
at the stock preventing me from truly playing it. Anyway I was wondering if
you have any new info ....

Back