Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LP Pup Heights

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey RFR........thanks again for your input. I didn't mean to imply that my 76' was not a 3 piece neck. It is and I can see it as the neck and body are blonde. I've just heard over time that some of the necks were terrible in the 70's. Who knows if mine is a hit or a miss. After 43 years.....I and many others who have played it do love it. The playability is just top notch. I love the shorter scale too.

Funny you should mention the weight. Well....not really.....it's SUPER HEAVY!! I can tell you that I might never have bought a Strat if it wasn't for the LP weight. It always kills my shoulder and back over two or three hours. Even sitting....it numbs my leg!! And.......from that....I became a Strat lover.....which is why over the years my LP is not overly used at all.

I'll look for a Tone Pros Nashville replacement and go with that. Once again.......thanks very much for your help!!
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    @Mickster Never meant to insunuate that you were insinuating.
    As I typed, I was wondering how that would translate.

And yeah, outside of the weight, there's a lot of great Norlin Pauls out there. Even if they didn't start out as good guitars, over the years players and repairmen have worked the bugs out.

The three piece necks (5 if you count the headstock wings) are actually very stable.
    Some because of the rush in building were dogs but most have been planed and refretted by now and are stable.
    But hey, any LP that sounds good and plays good IS a good guitar......weight be damned.

Now as an aside, the les paul was officially re intoduced in 69, but I've seen some that were made in 68.

You ever find an early one......you're in lespaul heaven!
    For a time, and I haven't been able to verify dates and numbers, they used left over 59 and 60s neck and body blanks. Bada bing! I've only seen a few, but they exist.
    When they ran out, they started using newer wood and later switched to pancake bodies.

Anyway, get that bad boy fixed up. While not desireable for gigging, they sure make great recording guitars.
    Last edited by RFR; 07-28-2019 at 18:21.

Thanks
    I played my first Norlin a few months ago. It was near mint, and I had a chance to buy it for $1,500 and passed. The frets had a flat top to them, yet they didn't look leveled ever. Did they come from the factory like that? The weight was absurd. The guitar played really nice, and I probably could have flipped it for 2x that. Maybe it was a stupid move, but the weight and flat fret tops freaked me out. I could have crowned them but on a vintage guitar I dunno if I want to mess with that since some people car a lot...gets dicey.

Thanks
    Nola.......you don't mention if it was a Les Paul or some other Norlin Gibson.....but I assume you mean an LP. As for mine.....the frets are somewhat wide and flat.....and the wideness seems to make them look even flatter.....and the normal wear shine can REALLY add to that impression. They're original. Assuming they're not excessively worn......they're fine and easy to play IMO. I think I've seen and played many model years of LP's (and SG's) with those frets. You might not have needed to crown them but I can't say that for sure of course. Mine have never been crowned or replaced but as I've previously mentioned........mine is not used very much these days. I'll tell you.......as RFR mentioned......it's such a great recording guitar. And yes for sure........it's heavy as hell!! Now that I'm older.......and have played Strats for so long......it seems SO HEAVY. Still.....it plays better than anything else I have or have played. I have 2 Strats.....my LP.....a Ric 325....a Martin acoustic.....an Ovation acoustic and....if you want to talk about wide fat tall frets......I have an Ibanez.

EDIT: If you're looking at a Les Paul that needs fret work or replacement.......BE AWARE that LP's with neck binding are VERY expensive to have replacement done. Also......my frets have always felt very low from the start. With the correct nut height set up.......man it plays SOOOO easily.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Sorry, it was an ES-345.
    The reason I passed on it was the frets (and yes, it had the binding and they were lowish). It almost looked like someone filed them down and never recrowned them. But they were so uniform and no rough edges that I thought maybe Gibson just did it that way in the 70s. The "crown" was very flat. I didn't check intonation because I was scared off, but I should have...curious if that flat fret made the intonation bad. It played buttery, though!

I know how to do a complete fretjob and have done it, but never with binding, so I didn't want to get involved.

Thread Information