lowering my action

Bass Freak

my p-bass has the normal bridge on it, its got those little things you stick the strings on top of *whats the real word for it?* its got the screws that lower it, it looks like an allan wrench should do the job. i put the smallest one i have in the hole and started twistin...and it didnt move....so what do i have to use to make my strings lower? or what do i have to do?

freak

The saddles might be rusted with age or just plain stuck (sounds like they haven't been used in a while?)Use 3 in one oil or other penetrating oil to soak the screw threads for a few minutes.A drop of oil on the end of a toothpick can be applied pretty exactly where you want it to go.
After soaking,have another go at breaking the saddles free.Use kleenix or a cotton cloth to wipe up the excess oil.Hope this helps you.

Im gonna have to try that sometime today...but i was looking more closely at the "saddles"...as you call them, is that the real name for them? eh who cares, but mine are all different ways...take a look...

freak

Attachments

• ushi copy.gif
    ushi copy.gif
    50.3 KB · Views: 34
Reading between the lines I get the impression you don't have much experience in setting up instruments?
At a glance it seems that your saddles are not level, they seem to have followed the curvature of the fretboard so first off get them level, individually that is. They should be different height to keep the strings at a constant height above the fret board.
Once you level them up raise or lower each one the same amount. go by the 1/4 turn of the allen wrench, the threads are all the same pitch so 1/4 turn will raise them all the same amount. Hope that is clear. If you really stuff up take it to a tech. Most of my work comes from people having a go themselves first, but its worth it to try.

Back