Looking for new distortion/fuzz pedal for my Twin Reverb.

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
What do I need? Fuzz vs. Distortion/OD?
Decide for your self.
[size=+3]Here's what I'm looking for. This tone.[/size]
Fuzz Chorus.wav - 2.19MB
Tappin Heavy.wav - 8.96MB
(these are sections of rough versions of some of my songs...drums are going to be redone, and everything needs to be mixed more...but you get the guitar tone there)
I currently have a Dwarfcraft Devices Shiva fuzz pedal which has way too much high end for my new Twin Reverb. So I'm looking basically for a Shiva pedal with EQ/Tone controls. If you know of something that could be like that, that'd be awesome.

Needs:
Tone controls of some sort so I can adjust the Eq of the fuzz specifically.
Chord clarity.
Wants:
THICK
Sounds similar to Wolfmother/Muse...Would like to be able to get some really heavy tones out of it too, if possible, but that's not needed.
$200 MAX! Preferably lower.
Not Wanted:
Sharp sounding. Overdrive (unless it really can get heavy...)

I'll update this as I think of things I suppose...
But really I'm game to research any pedals and see what I think. So suggest whatever you think I might like.
Thanks guys (gals?)

-Elliot

Last edited:
my advice

buy cheap amp dedicated for distortion & leave the poor old twin alone, distortion hurts his ears. :p

buy cheap amp dedicated for distortion & leave the poor old twin alone, distortion hurts his ears. :p
he's using this for live gigging so that's not a possibility.

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2 that's pretty nice. It has a mellow sort of tubescreamer sort of tone and I find that I have to crank the highs on most amps so it might be mellow enough to tame that Twin.
PLUS, it has 3 modes of operation with an awesome clean boost if you want and the other two modes giving a wide range of possibilities.
AND it also has a second boost with it's own level control so you actually have 2 differing distortions available.
Also ..... if you go directly to the Fulltone site, they often have 2nds with minor cosmetic blemishes for sale. I got mine for $140 and never have found the blemish for sure. The only one I found was so tiny I couldn't even be sure that was it.

:confused: :confused:

Uncountable artists have used Twins coupled with distortion or overdrive pedals. A cheap amp is going to sound like shit.

The Tube Screamer is still the best over the counter Overdrive that I have encountered there are lots of clones and different takes on this pedal but I still love my orginal TS 808 the best. For distortion the Boss DS-1 Distortion is still a great pedal.

Fulltone also makes a good line of distortion boxes. I own an OCD and it is a great for boosted overdrive>>>>distortion and doesn't have a big tonal effect. As Lt Bob said, the Fulltone Mosfet II is also a good unit.

The Ibanez tube screamer is the de facto standard for use with a twin.

Boss also has a great line of distortion boxes.

You really should hike to the nearest big box music store with your guitar, and demo a bunch of 'em.

Is it distortion or fuzz you'e after? You mention both in the title of the thread and all the recommendations have been OD/Distortion so far, but for me there's a big diff between fuzz and distortion. I might just be picky though?

Is it distortion or fuzz you'e after? You mention both in the title of the thread and all the recommendations have been OD/Distortion so far, but for me there's a big diff between fuzz and distortion. I might just be picky though?
well ...... there's certainly a big difference.
For me fuzz is a specialized sound that's only useful on a very small percentage of things.
But many people use fuzz as a generic term for any distortion type pedal.
Listening to the clip he posted I would think he'd have far more use for a good OD.

I've got a lot of different OD/distortion pedals, but the one I like the best in front of a really clean amp is my Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. It's two pedals in one box--an OD (that to my ears nails the 808 TS) and an all out distortion.

Obviously, each side has a drive control, but the OD side has a tone and a bass boost, so I can carve some decent control. The distortion side has a mid and treble. It's also got an interesting "sharp/blunt" switch. Sharp is a tight high-gain edge, while blunt introduces some sag with a bit darker sound.

They say you can use both sides together for some interesting results--but I never have. Each side seems to do a great job, and I like having both worlds in one box--especially with an amp that has little to no breakup of its own.

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2 that's pretty nice. It has a mellow sort of tubescreamer sort of tone and I find that I have to crank the highs on most amps so it might be mellow enough to tame that Twin.
PLUS, it has 3 modes of operation with an awesome clean boost if you want and the other two modes giving a wide range of possibilities.
AND it also has a second boost with it's own level control so you actually have 2 differing distortions available.
Also ..... if you go directly to the Fulltone site, they often have 2nds with minor cosmetic blemishes for sale. I got mine for $140 and never have found the blemish for sure. The only one I found was so tiny I couldn't even be sure that was it.
I've got a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (not the mosfet) - I think it has all the same controls that Lt. Bob described. Highly recommended.

For me fuzz is a specialized sound that's only useful on a very small percentage of things.
Listening to the clip he posted I would think he'd have far more use for a good OD.

Sorry, didn't see any clip? :confused: Agree with you on the fuzz. Still not sure when to sue my Fender Blender!!!

+1 on the fulltone 2. i run it through a clean fender deluxe. it's a very mellow but full distortion, it won't give you the piercing highs that some other distortion pedals can do. But it's a very musical and usable distortion.

What do I need? Fuzz vs. Distortion/OD?
Decide for your self.
[size=+3]Here's what I'm looking for. This tone.[/size]
Fuzz Chorus.wav - 2.19MB
Tappin Heavy.wav - 8.96MB
(these are sections of rough versions of some of my songs...drums are going to be redone, and everything needs to be mixed more...but you get the guitar tone there)

First off, to all of you suggesting the tube screamer. I tried it out, and it sounded a lot better than I was expecting, but doesn't get heavy enough.
I know there's a huge difference between fuzz and distortion. I wanted to keep the field open to distortion pedals just to see what people suggested. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I should have clarified much more interested in fuzz.
I need heavier than OD, I've come to that conclusion now. I'll post a clip soon of what I really want. What you listened to before is the other group I'm in, which (you're right) definitely more OD pedal than fuzz.

I've got a lot of different OD/distortion pedals, but the one I like the best in front of a really clean amp is my Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. It's two pedals in one box--an OD (that to my ears nails the 808 TS) and an all out distortion.
I've looked into that pedal a little, and for some reason I just can't enjoy it. I'll give it another go though. Thanks.

Last edited:
miking a small amp dedicated for distortion imo will produce better results than using a twin reverb (i'm guessing there's a pa for your live setup). i used the twin with distortion when i was younger as i was lucky enough for it to be my first amp, i thought distortion sounded good with it, as soon as i went out looking for another amp i found out how wrong i was. i tried lots of pedals with the twin & thought i found the best setup. it took trying (and in the end) buying another amp for me to realise that i was wasting my time. imo you will waste less time and produce better results if you get another amp -*unless* you know of an artist that uses a twin & distortion that produces the sound your looking for. although, the very fact you've posted on this forum leads me to deduce this is not the case. this i just my opinion & distortion is a very personal thing. good luck :p :cool:

it so much easier getting a fuzzy sound from a solid state amp, the tube amp will even the fuzz out. i have a dod punkifier, you may be able to get some result when coupling this effect with the twin as it's radical, they are quite rare now though so ebay is you best bet.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Bugman/7588373

he aint using a twin though

Right, having listened to the samples - think the drums sound good btw - I would say a Boss DS2 is your first port of call. It's a distortion, not a fuzz, but it's capable of far more grit than the sounds you've showcased, it's cheap and it's extremely versatile - you can pile on the gain or pull back and let it 'breath' a little. I'd use that as your benchmark; if you need more conventional 'fuzz' sounds (metallic, ring-modulator-esque tones), try something like this

miking a small amp dedicated for distortion imo will produce better results than using a twin reverb (i'm guessing there's a pa for your live setup). i used the twin with distortion when i was younger as i was lucky enough for it to be my first amp, i thought distortion sounded good with it, as soon as i went out looking for another amp i found out how wrong i was. i tried lots of pedals with the twin & thought i found the best setup. it took trying (and in the end) buying another amp for me to realise that i was wasting my time. imo you will waste less time and produce better results if you get another amp -*unless* you know of an artist that uses a twin & distortion that produces the sound your looking for. although, the very fact you've posted on this forum leads me to deduce this is not the case. this i just my opinion & distortion is a very personal thing. good luck :p :cool:

it so much easier getting a fuzzy sound from a solid state amp, the tube amp will even the fuzz out. i have a dod punkifier, you may be able to get some result when coupling this effect with the twin as it's radical, they are quite rare now though so ebay is you best bet.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Bugman/7588373

he aint using a twin though
Good to know, but I'm done with solid state amps, and also I'm getting some fairly decent tones right now with the Twin, and can't afford another amp. But thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it. Maybe in the future :D

Right, having listened to the samples - think the drums sound good btw - I would say a Boss DS2 is your first port of call. It's a distortion, not a fuzz, but it's capable of far more grit than the sounds you've showcased, it's cheap and it's extremely versatile - you can pile on the gain or pull back and let it 'breath' a little. I'd use that as your benchmark; if you need more conventional 'fuzz' sounds (metallic, ring-modulator-esque tones), try something like this
I'll look into it. I've always been wary of the DS2. Always heard mixed reviews and always heard that it was really high pitched. But I'll look into it, definitely. Thanks for the advice.

-Elliot

Back