Looking for make of this amp

First, I know this is mostly a recording forum, but there are other forums on this site. I'm in the middle of a discussion to see if we can find out the maker of this amp. Yes, the pic is terrible. It looks like it has sliders instead of potentiometers, or maybe a combination. There also seems to be a 45 in the middle, which might mean something. It might mean 45 watts or maybe a part of the name of the amp. They could also be prototypes.

The logo isn't familiar, but maybe somebody here (an old timer?) might have a name from looking at the logo or the amp as a whole. There are two amps in the pic and they are both identical.

Sorry, if this is out of line for this forum. I just picked this one, because I'd assume it's a guitar amp. We're also assuming it's a practice amp, and not really much else. This pick is from the dressing room of the band Kansas, and we think it's around the mid '70s.

We've already been through all of the standard brand names. And the band doesn't seem to remember much. Rich Williams says his mind is drawing a blank. Not because of drugs, but because it's such a long time ago.

I probably should also add, there is no prize for the correct name. We're all poor musicians, but curious, just the same. You will, however, have our undying gratitude, because several of us have been trying to figure out what amp these are for a few days, now.

By the way, that's Kerry Livgren's guitar, at the left of the pic and we think those are Peterson strobe tuners on top of the amps...not part of the amps.

Attachments

• mystery amps.jpg
    mystery amps.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 40

Yeah, that's it. I should have come back and updated that the forum in the UK, The Fretboard found this very picture. Rich Williams of Kansas is now happy, because he was one of the people who wanted to know what amp it was. He said they didn't seem to last very long, but they had a good sound.

I don't know if the band owned them or not, but I got that they did, from the way he said they didn't last very long. Kerry Livgren never got back to us, but he doesn't need to now, if he wanted to know what amp he was standing next to. It was just one of those things. The picture was crappy and so the quality wasn't good enough to zoom in and so I thought there were sliders on the thing for volume, etc, instead of potentiometers.

The Kalula in the one pic got some attention, too. Rich said Kerry has a good recipe for making Kalula, but that most everybody in the band drank it. I don't know now much each drank it, but I think it was always back stage, for those who did.

Everybody was joking that the amp looks kind of like a hippy created it, with orange color, the moon name the big 45 in the middle, and the way the numbers on the volume knobs are/aren't printed. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it only goes up to 8, but there is also no 1, so my guess is it had a 1 and a 10, but just doesn't have them printed on the dial. It also has a latch on the back cover, which is kind of fancy, if you ask me. Most amps just had an opening in the back. I don't know if this would alter the sound at all or not.

This very pic from reverb is what I got from the UK. I guess if you finally know the name and google, it, that's the only pic that comes up? Thanks to everybody who looked at the post and tried to figure out the mystery and to those who suggested I try the other forums. I got major props from the facebook group for figuring out the amp, but it was actually somebody else who did it. I was lucky enough to be the go between.

Thanks again, everybody. Mystery solved!

Back