Looking for that Eric Johnson sound...

Riegs

I don't know if this is entirely possible but here's a list of EJ's effects pedals etcetera:

Effects Pedals: Echoplex, Tube Screamer, Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Faces, Vox Crybaby wah-wah, Chandler Tube Driver, T.C. stereo chorus, MXR digital delay, A.T.C. electronic 2290 digital delay & 1210 spatial expander, Lexicon PCM-70, Prescription Electronics' Experience pedal, THD's Hot Plate amp attenuator. A/B box switching system.

I'm looking for a do-it-all effects processor that will get me close to his vintage sounds, if that's possible. What are your recommendations?

I've heard a lot of great things about the POD and Digitech RP12 but without sampling these units I'm not sure what they can do.

I'm going to be running my Strat into the processor, to a mixer, then into the soundcard. Or if I can get a nice mic I may mic my amp.

Check out the POD review on the homepage of this website, complete with sound files. Be forwarned that the POD can be tweaked beyond these sounds, either manually or ultra tweaked through your computer/midi.

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 02-21-2000).]

ONE processor that does all that??? I've got a convincing "Cliffs of Dover" sound with my Zoom 505 pedal. Here is the patch:
Compression: L1
Distortion: DT
Gain: 15
Zener: Off
EQ: 20
Modulation: Off
Delay: D7
Level: 18

You might give it a try, but you know, most of his sound is in his hands...
Bob.

Thanks Monty, sounds like quite the unit. :)

Bob, I'm just getting into effects as I've had a standard amp for a while now so I don't really know if it's possible. I've been told that effects pedals are becoming less necessary as processors such as the high-end Digitech models are capable of most anything. Although the pedals may have better sound, who wants a million of them when you can get nearly the same results with one unit. An online pal of mine says his RP12 is capable of duplicating most of EJ's vintage distortion etc etc, so I wanted to bring it up here to see what the feedback would be.

I just want a large array of classic vintage distortion along with clean tones to choose from. I really dig EJ's style and I'm tired of the same sounds through my Fender amp...

Hey, as Bob said, the sound is in Eric Johnson's hands. And great hand's at that. I heard an interview with some guitarist trying to imitate Eddie Van Halen's sound and actually having the opportunity to tour with Van Halen. He picked up Eddie's guitar and played through VH's setup and he said it sounded like his guitar playing usually does. Van Halen went and plaid on this guy's guitar and setup and sounded like--Van Halen. I guess you get the point. It's in the hands. Find YOUR sound and make a billion bucks and have a bunch of wannabe guitar heroes searching for your sound.

Peace, Jim

I believe that was Ted Nugent. I've got EJ's video and I've watched it a lot. Even when I come close to doing what he is doing...it's not the same. Of course he practices about 16 hours a day. Alas, some of us have to work.

Back