Line6 Pod XT vs. Pod XT Live for Home Recording

Blakeb

Hello there,

Can either the pod xt or pod xt live be used for home recording? Is there a difference in quality?

The pod xt live would obviously give someone the bonus of live stage application.

I would really like to purchase either, mainly for recording use. But, if the pod xt live is just as good + gives you live sound application I might as well fork out the extra $100.

Any thoughts

Home recording is propbably the main reason they are popular. Yes, you can use them. Yes, I would buy one. I actually did. I have the XT, but I really like the XT Live.

I have an XTL with the Metal Shop Pack. Works great for me, as I don't have much of an amp...

I have the PodXT. I love it and couldn't imagine recording without it in my current setup. The Live is identical in function, not form obviously. Personally, though it would cost more, if I wanted the "live" capabilities of the XTL, I would rather run a midi controller (Line6 brand or other) to my PodXT than get a XTL (yes, even if I had to purchase all over again). Why? Well, the cost is actually going to be a bit more by going the route I have described versus the XTL; however, I like knowing that the brains of my rig aren't setting on the floor getting stomped on and God-knows-what getting spilled on it at a gig.

I've had both. Pod XT is great for recording, Pod XTL IS NOT. People will have different opinions, but this is mine from experiencing both. Also the XTL isn't good in a live situation eithier. Extremely harsh sounding. NO MATTER HOW YOU HOOK IT UP. It does not play well with amps, especially tube amps. Save the 100 bucks, get the xt, it's MUCH better.

I have the XTL and have used it both for recording and for live work. I have zero problems in either situation.

With any POD gear, the key to live use is the right amp/speaker combo. I use Carvin power amp and a Carvin 15" wedge monitor. Good tone for clearn, overdrive, metal, etc. No complaints about harshness at all.

I have also tried same XTL with other guitar amps with less successful results. Again the key is the right amp/speaker combo. Many find that simple PA gear or keyboard amps are very good fits.

Ed

jeff5xo said:
I've had both. Pod XT is great for recording, Pod XTL IS NOT. People will have different opinions, but this is mine from experiencing both. Also the XTL isn't good in a live situation eithier. Extremely harsh sounding. NO MATTER HOW YOU HOOK IT UP. It does not play well with amps, especially tube amps. Save the 100 bucks, get the xt, it's MUCH better.
Disagree about the XTL for recording - it works great for me. I run my XTL direct into my TASCAM 2488 with excellent results.

Haven't used the XTL live, but when I do I will be using it with a full-range power amp and PA speaker to avoid trying to make it work with a guitar amp.

I've had both and here's my opinion.

They are exactly the same electronics wise. The POD XT is much smaller and significantly more convenient for home use. However the XTL comes with the pedal and the FX pack which can be useful. I switched to the XTL because of the Variax connection which is priceless.

The XTL is bigger, I don't find some of the connections and buttons as convenient and since it's bigger, the screen, which is the same size, appears smaller (also a factor because it's usually on the floor).

Many people, including me, have had a problem with the pedal squeaking that is tough to fix, the volume button on the XTL is a stupid tiny knob on the back of the unit, hard to use.

If I had a choice I would have the XT with a variax connection but I don't play live - I love them both.

Tony

Jeff5

Are you still having recording problems with the PodXTL for homerecordings or have you given' up?

Dumby said:
Are you still having recording problems with the PodXTL for homerecordings or have you given' up?
I bought a GT-8 about 3 months ago. I play in two bands plus I have a studio. The GT-8 works well with amps using the 4 cable method and you can place the fx anywhere you want in the fx chain.

Here's the deal. 3 years ago I bought a Pod 2.0. I LOVED it. Based on that, I bought a Line 6 Flextone 2. I LOVED it........................at first. After gigging with it for a year, I had to replace the input jack 3 times (that's no easy task, you have to unsolder and re-solder them to a circuit board) and replace the film strip on the footboard wah. I wrote a letter to Line 6 asking why thier amps were made with plastic parts and why they used film strips for wah and volume pedals. They in return sent me an upgraded input jack. I just got sick of maintaining the amp. So I bought a tube amp and a POD XTL Live. Immediately I was disappointed with it, but I gave it a chance. I used it for about 6 month all the while constantly talking on the Line 6 chat rooms trying to gain the most knowledge I could about how to hook it up properly for my situation, and how to get the best results out of it. You see I WANTED to like it.............but I didn't. The only way I ever got it to sound good was through a frfr system (keyboard amp) Still, as good as it sounded, it wasn't as good as my amp. I wanted my distotion sound and just use the xtl as effects. But the xt just wouldn't get along with my amp

Now as far as recording, the clean sounds on the xtl were good (not great). I prefer the sound of an amp mic'd for clean sound, some don't. I never bought any of the additional amp packs, because honestly to me, none of the original amps sounded all that good. The dirty channels NEVER appealled to me on the XTL. To me they sound way to thin.

Having said all of that, let me tell you this. I have 2 musician friends who love the XTL. They think it's the greatest thing in the world. You couldn't pry it from thier dead hands. Again, I really wanted to like the xtl, it just didn't work out for my situation. Tone is a weird thing, everyone hears differently. I won't discourage anyone from buying or owning the XTL, just take the time and make sure it is going to work in your situation. Do alot of research on it. Go on Line 6 forums and talk about it. And look at all of the other stuff that is in the same price range. The GT-8 is far superior when it comes to fx, if you're an fx junkie. The pre-amps aren't as consistant as they are on the xtl.

What I'm saying hear is everyone has an opinion. Let YOUR ears be the final judge. Opinions aren't right or wrong, thier just...................well opinions. :)

Thanks alot for your help dude...You were right, I bought the XTL yesterday, and today I exchanged it for the GT-8...It's alot more intricate and much more difficult but I know I"m getting there now with the sound I want to achieve...anyways...time to put the guitars down for a bit and hit the bar it's Friday nite...Thanks again!

Back