LINE 6 amps..

RoOkiE85

i was wondering if the line 6 amps were any good...since they have the 6 model sounds for the electric guitar....

I have the Line 6 Flextone III XL. I bought it for the price and watts. It’s a nice amp and I like it. But it’s a modeling amp so with a fine tuned ear you can tell the tones are generic. You get what you pay for. Yes they will sound like other models but its still a Line 6. For $600 and 120 watts you cant go wrong IMO. I didn’t want to have to haul around a half stack to every gig I play. And at most gigs they will mic he amp anyway so you don’t need a half/full stack to play out

just buy a good tube amp. has all the tone you need. i just got rid of all my line 6 stuff. save yourself some money and just go for the real thing!

I have a friend that plays in a cover band. He has a line 6 and it works great for him. True it does not sound exactly like a tube amp, BUT he can be a guitar tone 'chameleon'. You probably couldn't pull off what he does with a regular amp that has one signature tone.

He is playing the Rolling Stones 'Start me up", collective soul, and Godsmack in the same set. He has patches that sound REAL close to those bands' guitar tones. Modelers really shine in situations like those...

I've got a Spider II 112 and I like it because it's versatile. As said above, it's not two Marshalls, two Mesas, three Fenders, and a couple of boutiques, but it's a passable substitute and a lot easier to carry around.

I'm not keen on Line6 amps to be honest.
I've tried a few and thought they sounded buzzy and cheap on the whole.

They don't really sound like the tube amps they are trying to model and, more importantly, they don't react to your playing as a tube amp would.

A tube amp is part of your instrument whereas a transistor amp is, well, an amp.

My advice is to get a good tube amp.
They can be had for surprisingly reasonable prices second-hand, and there are some good cheap ones around (such as the Fender Blues Junior).

If you want to vary your tone get some good pedals or rack effects.

I find it's much better to have one really good piece of kit that you can add to later rather than a 'jack-of-all-trades'.

They have a really harsh sounding treble, but to be fair most people can't notice it, and others only notice after theyre told about it because I'm talking about the really really high treble. Once you notice it, its like finger nails on a chalkboard.

Also 600 dollars for a line 6? thats not an affordable price, theres cheaper amps that are way better. Theres also no way you need 120 watts, paying for that many watts is useless. Look at some Fender combos, a blues jr. is probably around 300 US. Theres also Mesa combos for less than 600. Buy used and you can get something really good for 600 dollars, buy for watts and you'll regret it.

if you know how to set up an amp, you can get pretty much whatever sound you want. I use the pod pro with carvin power amp, and I love the sound. it gets CLOSE to the acutal amp but different, but for me having all those effects and staying under a grand is well worth it. sure if i had the cash id by the 5150 and 10 effect pedals. but im a starving musician so to say

what kind of tube amp do you guys recomend that has plenty of tone models so i wont have to step on a pedal or something...

RoOkiE85 said:
what kind of tube amp do you guys recomend that has plenty of tone models so i wont have to step on a pedal or something...
I think you missed something in the conversation so far. They are saying that models are not really that great. They are saying you would be better off with a good, solid tube amp that has a characteristic sound of its own. Up to you to decide whether you want one really good tone, or a lot of almost-good-but-off-enough-to-be-annoying tones.

RoOkiE85 said:

You're still going to have to step on a pedal to change sound with a modeling amp.

It's just that the sound won't be as rich and the amp won't respond to your playing in the same way as a nice tube amp.

Don't get me wrong - there's a place in the world for good tranny amps. Clasical and some jazz players need that clean transistor sound and a good transistor amp can sound very beautiful indeed.

That isn't the kind of transistor amp you're talking about though.

You guys kill me with all of your "nothing compares to a tube amp" spiel. You don't even know what kind of music he plays. Some music really depends on tube warmth, some doesn't. I have heard some live bands getting some outstanding tones out of modelers.

Here's a little known secret. *sshhh*
You don't have to have a tube amp to get a modern metal sound. There I said it. It very much depends on the tone you are going for. And if you are playing covers of alot of different styles/genres of music, forget the frickin' tube amp. Vacuum Tubes do not impart some magical mystical property to your guitar playing. I promise you that Steve Vai could plug into a POD and make you forget what he is playing through.

Your amp, and in fact your whole guitar tone is just the brush you use to make art with. Some great artists make beautiful art with super soft camel hair brushes. What these guys here are telling you, is like telling an artist that they CAN'T paint a masterpiece using a synthetic hair brush. Only real camel hair paints a masterpiece! Well, hate to bust it to you, but artists have made masterpieces with charcoal sticks. A real artist could paint a masterpiece with any brush, synthetic or otherwise, if they have a good feel for it. A great artist, and a great musician CREATES. They find a tone that they can create with, and then they create art with it. They don't stick their nose in the air and say, "I can't create great music because I don't have toobs in my amp!"

I think sometimes you guys lose sight of that.

Amra, he's talking about getting an amp that models tube amps - so I think it's fair to assume that he wants a tube tone.

I think I've made it clear that I think there's a place for good tranny amps.

I'm also pretty clear on the benefits of tube amps for many styles of playing. Namely tone (via harmonic distortion) and dynamic response.

Modelers and tranny amps cannot do this stuff.

Of course Vai could sound good through a POD - he's a technical virtuoso.
Do you disagree that he would sound better through a good amp though?

Don't get me wrong - I'm no 'tone hound', I have one tube amp, one tranny amp, two guitars and two pedals (besides my tuner). I don't need any more.

I'm also a great believer in skills before gear (I've heard Marc Ribot do an incredible set on a junk-shop guitar) - but to think that good gear doesn't have it's place would be foolish.

The gear you use is very dependant on your sound and what you're doing.
I'll never forget having to use another band's back line. I went through the guitarist's Vibrolux and the way it cut through the mix and the dynamic range I could coax from it using nothing but my fingers (as opposed to tweaking the volume pot), convinced me that a good amp becomes part of your guitar. I also fell in love with the sound and the way it reacted to my playing. I went out and got one and don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I found 'my amp'.

I hope the same happens to you some day.

apl said:
How good is good enough for 95% of the audience's ears?
It depends very much on the context, the sound guy, the PA, the band, the venue, the audience and their expectations.

Codmate said:
It depends very much on the context, the sound guy, the PA, the band, the venue, the audience and their expectations.
Well, I'm covered then!

I've got no sound guy, no PA, no band, no venue and no audience!

I should've kept the cheeziest high school guitar rig, wiring the guitar cord into the wires that connected to the cartridge in the record player!

apl said:
Well, I'm covered then!

I should've kept the cheeziest high school guitar rig, wiring the guitar cord into the wires that connected to the cartridge in the record player!
Lol - well, if you're your own audience, then whatever makes you happy will do :)

apl said:
Well, I'm covered then!

I used to plug into the input jacks of my mom's Magnavox console stereo system.

That sucker had 100 watts and a pair of built-in 12" speakers on opposite sides that faced away from each other. :)

i play an alternative type of music sorta like maroon 5 to lifehouse and howie day sorta thing....what kind of pedals would be good for those kind of electric guitar sounds...

Back