levels

I have a ZOOM G1 four fx box for guitar. I prefer to use it instead of DAW fx...I only use it for delay, echo,chorus and the brighter cabinet fx.
I made up some patches and they are plenty loud at a volume level of about 40 on the patch volume setting with headphones...and enough gain and stuff on the fx controls. Quite clear also.
When I switch to running it thru the interface for tracking it really loses dynamics and volume.
Should I have the patch volume at near max for that routing to get back the dynamics so the recording track sounds bright and louder..??I have the gain up at 3/5 on the interface RT2 Steinberg.No clipping there at all. Into a mono channel and stereo out. What are techniques for this...? thanx

would it seem too much to use the Hi Z switch with the fairly low level line signal that comes out of the G1. ?

would it seem too much to use the Hi Z switch with the fairly low level line signal that comes out of the G1. ?

A quick varder at the speccs shows the G1 to be a -10dBV ish device which should be fine into any interface. There is no harm in using the high Z input but usually, once a guitar signal is modified by active electronics you use a line input.

What sort of level shows on the DAW's meters?

Dave.

it just sounds a little less sharp using line...I will try the hi Z starting at 0 gain..

Time I think to post some comparative clips. Attached 320k MP3 suits me best as I can then drop them straight into Samplitude.

Dave.

the Hi Z just doesn't do it either... I will stick to the onboard fx....I need a lush hi fidelity VST for delay/echo/stereo chorus in one..

Back