A Leather guitar cover???

Dogbreath

Im an ex-spurt
Taken from the article...

"Chuck Smith of Valley Center, Calif., holds a guitar with a leather cover he designed for Eric Clapton........ ."

uh...:confused:

Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't wrapping your guitar in leather kind of negate the tone you'd get from the body a bit?

I dunno...just thought it was kinda interesting...

Attachments

• LEATHER GUITAR COVER.jpg
    LEATHER GUITAR COVER.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 155
valley center is a little rural cowboyish town.... it makes sense if you're familiar with the place.

valley center is a little rural cowboyish town.... it makes sense if you're familiar with the place.

Never heard of the place but this article and pic showed up in the local newspaper here with this dude and the guitar.

Just seems like wrapping a guitar in leather would be bad for your sound. Maybe not. I dunno and don't like the pretty flowers enough to buy one and try it. :D

You seen this guys work before?

Yeah it's probably meant more as an ornamental piece rather than functional...

Clapton's recent album was recorded in Valley Center, "The Road to Escondido" (Valley Center is an unincorporated area under the domain of Escondido), JJ Kale(Spelling?) has a place up there and I believe it was all done in his studio. I've also heard either Clapton has bought a place in VC too, or resides at Kale's house on a regular basis.

I would assume Eric attended some local festival or function and this was a gift from the locals showcasing their art.

As to having seen Mr. Smith's work before, I probably have without knowing it. I would guess he does saddles normally. In fact I Know several Smith's from up there, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was someone's uncle or grandpa etc.

I can't see it helping the top vibrate freely...but hey

Buddy%20Holly%20guitar.jpg

resize

I don't think back then they cared about "ultimate tone", I bet they couldn't even hear themselves think over all the screaming women.

I had read once that the 50s guys liked it because it brought out the percussive attack of the acoustic without having to worry much about the notes of the chords. like slap bass it was part of the rockabilly rhythm.

But I have never heard one in person. I'd think it would be too quiet to be of any value.

It does dampen the sound a bit but they started out mainly as a way to protect delicate Gibsons and Martins from the vigors of the road and later became ways to adorn and advertise a players name. Leather covers are still fairly common in C&W circles even now and you can even occasionally see one on an electric. Waylon Jennings, Merle Travis, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Buddy Holly and lots of other folks used them.

Back