++++Lawrence P'ups++++

eyeslikefire

I CAN SMELL EM!
Hey GONZ!!!
I knew the title would grab your attencion. :D

I just heard a Paul with a set of L-500's------
I'm still dragging my jaw across the floor!

I called and spoke to Willi (aka Bill) for an hour and a half!!
I could not believe that there is still a company that really cares
about their customers the way they do! He took the time to explain all the myths and facts about pickups.
It was freaking AMAZING!.... I'M STILL FLOORED!!!
He acually hand draws wiring schematics acording to your needs!!!! And if something goes wrong he'll walk you through it by phone!

I'm calling Monday morning to order my set of L500c (neck) and L500xl (bridge) The only downside is that I'll have to wait 6 weeks to get them. But hey, they're worth the wait.

Last edited:
HAHA!!!

Nobody ever believes the members of the Cult of Lawrence until they hear the talismans in action and the word of our beloved savior rings down upon their virgin ears...

I haven't tried the L-500s, but I think I probably will on my next guitar, unless I decide to go with the 465's instead.

Eyes - are you getting a Q-filter to add with them?

Bill was telling me about it, but I didn't quite understand...
So when I call back on Monday I'll get the lowdown.

All I can tell you guys is that it was I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E!!!!!

How did you find out about them KaBudokan?
And which do you have?

eyeslikefire said:
Bill was telling me about it, but I didn't quite understand...
So when I call back on Monday I'll get the lowdown.

How did you find out about them KaBudokan?
And which do you have?
Using the Q-Filter is kind of like taking windings off of the pickup. I don't quite know how it works - :D - but it is pretty cool. I have it on my new guitar.

I have Lawrence pups on two of my guitars - one is a tele style that actually has two strat pickups: an L290S in the bridge, and the L280S in the neck. The new guitar is a strat style with L290's in the neck and middle, and an L-495 in the bridge. The L-495 is Bill's P-90 sound in a full humbucker sound.

You can hear that guitar on this sampler I threw together:

I've been thinking of taking the plunge on a set of BL's for my MIM tele. I got a recommendation to try the l-290 TLE/L-290TN combo for a higher output p-90-ish sound.

Suggestions or other recommendations?

KaBudokan, did you buy your axe with them installed already or did you install them yourself? I'm going to hear the sample tomorrow at work since I have a T connection there. (it's taking forever on my 56k at home)

I installed them myself in a new project guitar I built from a neck and body from USA Custom Guitars.

I had heard about Lawrence pickups and then just did some research online. After finding their site, reading about them a bit at a few other places, and then talking to Bill, I decided to go ahead and place an order.

Cool!
No probs with the install right?
I've never installed pups before so I'm kinda freaked out.
I'm pretty good with the "iron" though...

He did provide you with schematics right?

With this particular order, I had requested a custom diagram. Becky (Bill's wife) didn't send it because Bill was out of town and it would have delayed the order. It wasn't a huge issue - the wiring I was doing was pretty basic and very similar to what was on the other diagram I had. There was really only one minor variable that wasn't on the stock diagram, and I tracked down that schematic on the web.

The only problem I really had was that I needed to shield the guitar. I called and talked to Bill about how best to do that, and he talked me through the few questions I had. I had thought I had enough copper shielding tape from my last order with them to do this guitar, but I ran out. Becky sent some out that day and I had it a few days later.

If you need some shielding tape, be sure to request it on your order - they'll send it for free.

you know, i sent an email to becky....

asking about that story between the 2 bill lawrences......

i never got a reply, that's why i haven't posted anything on it......

all i know is, my pair of L-280s's that i bought from them, really sound nice.......

and they'll spend as much time as you want/need to help explain things over the phone......

Yeah, Bill has some legal docs posted on his site though...

I agree with you though, I heard those L-500's and was blown away.

Back