know a good guitar amp for a heavy rock tone?

NotThatBright

I'm tired of having shit guitar tones, I need a new amp; I'd like to cap the spend at $400. I want something that sounds good for heavy rock or metal-type tones. Does anyone have any suggestions based on his experience? No less than 40 watts. If $400 isn't enough, I'd go as high as $550, but I'd prefer to keep it at $400 or lower. Thanks.

Alternatively, you could look for an amplifier that starts with "Marsh" and ends with "all".
Or something that begins with "DSL" or "JVM" or possibly ends with "HW" or just plain "X".

:D

I know Greg has a JVM410 and my friend has a JVM 210 - my current favorites but way beyond your budget.

Seriously, Marshall is amazing. Always has been. Orange makes some decent kit. HiWatt is overpriced, but awesome. If you don't like 6v6's try Carvin V series. Great EL84 sound. There's lots of 'em...Fender, Bad Cat, Blackstar (maybe not so much), even Vox. Give a listen to several and see what floats the proverbial boat.

I played through a single 12 Vox...AC series maybe, that sounded pretty awesome for under $400 at GC recently.

I played through a single 12 Vox...AC series maybe, that sounded pretty awesome for under $400 at GC recently.

Lol. Dude you gotta read his requirements. He wants "heavy rock or metal" tones.

Vox AC amps are killer, but no one is doing hard rock or metal with them.

Vai is a Carvin guy now right?

In any case, Steve Vai is not a sound I think notthatbright wants to emulate. :laughings:

But doesn't talc extend string life, and keep you from needing to clean your fretboard, and cure AIDS and cause world peace?

Back