Just a minor bitching

Col_Forbin

This may sound like an unfair generalization, but has anyone noticed how like 80% of new basses all sound the same? It's almost like a dead dry tone that only seems to come to life when slapped...kinda like a woman!! *kidding* :) I guess it's just personal taste, but i can usually hear if it's a newer bass on a recording because it's got the same midrangey trebley tone....i guess it goes to show you that no matter what exotic woods or alternative materials they use, they just don't make them like they used to....

Your right COL!

They don't make umm like they used to.
But their makin more money than they ever did before!!!!!!!!

jimimac

Another major factor in the overall tone is the rig and how eq is used in it. I have noticed a heavy shift into thick mids (not the pbass mid growl either).

One thing that makes me laugh is the 4-10 craze that seems to be happening too. When I first started playing 8-10 SVT's were the standard and with all the experimenting going on what is back? Just like the fenders and ricks they never leave.

Don't get me wrong I use a 4-10 cab. in fact you can't beat the tightness it gives and with the 2-15's I use, I think I have it covered. And YES, well I didn't mean to leave out Chris Squire (another of my personal favs) and Greg Lake, great tone!!!

Gotta go I'm starting to ramble....

Hey,

The action is set so low on every bass I have ever tried at the music stores,all you get is buzz. I have a feeling that that's why they all sound the same. I think the guitar factories do this to make them easy to play, hence more sales. I think no matter what guitar you by, your'e going to have to make adjustments, guitar or bass, to get it's true tone.

Yes Col they do!

I have noticed that an old Rick or Fender are still apart from most. I do have to admit that to get away from the new sound I had to put together my own.

At least that way I can set the string height, bridge, and select the pickups to my
taste. I have found that wood does make a difference in the body as long as the right density of woods are used. Maple, purple heart, and of course mahogany are my choice.

Several factors come into play but as long as the mainstream yells for a pretty bass the
manufacturers will keep putting the basics in and forget about the end sound most of us strive for.

If you look at the musicianship at bass right now no one is a Jaco or Stanley to only name a couple!

yeah i think old fender's and ricks have the most distinct and recognizable tones....i think even that the rick is muddier than the old p basses...which is a sound i really like...now i have old Yes bass lines in my head lol....

with the new basses, i also think it has to do with the way people are playing it...because...any modern bass player who reeeeeeeeally stands out (Tony Levin, Oteil Burbridge, Vic Wooten) they ALL have new instruments...and they all have their own individual tone....

Back