intonation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

justadrummer

I just got a Esp and cannot get the "g" string to set right . It tunes sharp on
the 12th fret but the adjustment is all the way back. the rest of the strings are on the money, neck is straight, action is good. Im confused!!!

Have you tried a different string? It could be a bad string. Otherwise, what is the gauge of the string? What kind of a bridge? TOM's are a problem that way sometimes, if the bridge isn't in the right place for the gauge of strings you are using.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

If its a Gibson Tune-O-Matic style bridge, you can remove the saddle and flip it around (very common).

im using regular slinkys. so i think its a .017? I've tried adjusting the "bridge" on just that string but it won't go any further. I'll try to flip it around..with a new string.. Much appreciated.

If its a Gibson Tune-O-Matic style bridge, you can remove the saddle and flip it around (very common).

+1 on this; I have a flipped saddle on one of mine. Also, switching from a plain to a wound G will move the optimal saddle location up towards the neck, I think.

Also, switching from a plain to a wound G will move the optimal saddle location up towards the neck, I think.

Usually, but it will also change the sound.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Usually, but it will also change the sound.

Like guido said, flip the saddle. If that is impossible with the bridge you have, you can remove the saddle, and file down some of the metal(if it needs to move closer to the neck), just make sure not to file on the grove. The depth of the groove should be half the thickness of the string you are using. if the saddle needs to go further back, you can file some of the metal off the very back of the saddle, thus allowing the saddle to go further back. make sure you dont dig into the groove, nor take too much metal off, causing the screw not to be able to secure the saddle itself. Also, are you sure that the string hieght is where it needs to be? Had a prs brought to me after it went through a few shops, and they could not "fix" it. They were actually suggesting the frets be filed down a bit. I made a very light adjustment to string hieght, and made sure the contour was proper for a compound radious neck, and the thing rocked!!!!

That's a good point about getting the action right first.

You can remove the saddle, and file down some of the metal (if it needs to move closer to the neck)...

Wouldn't filing the metal down move the contact point farther from the neck? Or are you talking about filing down the bottom of the saddle so it'll move farther up? Either way, I'd do that as a last resort, as that's going to eat up any kind of plating you have on there.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

That won't work. The witness point will still be in the same place. The saddle is just gonna be thinner.

Fliping the saddle worked out just fine.. Thanks. I see your point about filing though.. If you need to , removing the thickness of the metal will allow you to move its position futher towards that side of the bridge. Anyone recommend good tuners?

I just got a Esp and cannot get the "g" string to set right . It tunes sharp on
the 12th fret but the adjustment is all the way back. the rest of the strings are on the money, neck is straight, action is good. Im confused!!!

Not really surprising to me. The G string is, by its very nature, the most out of tune string on a guitar in terms of intonation. If you've ever looked at a compensated nut, you'll notice the G string is the one with the greatest offset....

Fliping the saddle worked out just fine.. Thanks. I see your point about filing though.. If you need to , removing the thickness of the metal will allow you to move its position futher towards that side of the bridge. Anyone recommend good tuners?

Do you mean tuner as in A. the knobs at the end of your axe or as in B. a device that checks your pitch?

The ones which came with the guitar are almost certainly perfectly adequate. It is very uncommon to need to replace them. If you still want to replace them, the best (hands down) are Gotoh 510s. They are the only thing I ever use.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

The ones which came with the guitar are almost certainly perfectly adequate. It is very uncommon to need to replace them. If you still want to replace them, the best (hands down) are Gotoh 510s. They are the only thing I ever use.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

plus one,

However as light forgot to point out, replacing the tuners won't help you get that G sorted. That is down to the right gauge and type of string. The right adjustment to the setup and action and tuning your guitar correctly.

plus one,

However as light forgot to point out, replacing the tuners won't help you get that G sorted. That is down to the right gauge and type of string. The right adjustment to the setup and action and tuning your guitar correctly.

He already got the G string dealt with, he needed to flip the saddle.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back