Interesting Bass Issue

famous beagle

Hey y'all, I have a bass with an interesting issue --- or ... I've never come across it before, at least.

The A note on string 4 (fret 5) seems to be quieter than the G note at fret 3 on the same string, and I can't tell why. It's not buzzing in any way; it's just consistently about 3 or 4 dB quieter on the recording every time. I haven't extensively tested the bass to see if other notes are quieter as well, but I know that the open E, F# at fret 2, and B at fret 7 on that string all sound normal.

So ... what could be causing this? Could it be an issue with the string? Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Hey y'all, I have a bass with an interesting issue --- or ... I've never come across it before, at least.

The A note on string 4 (fret 5) seems to be quieter than the G note at fret 3 on the same string, and I can't tell why. It's not buzzing in any way; it's just consistently about 3 or 4 dB quieter on the recording every time. I haven't extensively tested the bass to see if other notes are quieter as well, but I know that the open E, F# at fret 2, and B at fret 7 on that string all sound normal.

So ... what could be causing this? Could it be an issue with the string? Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

I had this exact same issue with my P-Bass when i bought it. I only really noticed it REALLY bad when using an Amp sim, not AS BAD when run into an amp but noticable enough.

Check the height of the bottom of the string to wood on your 12th fret. Check it when it is open and check it when it is played on your 5th fret. Chances are it will be high than your other three strings. Wouldn't hurt to see if maybe your p-up height needs adjusting s well on that end.

After i had mine set up properly that issue went away.

Let us know, interested to hear how you make out.

Pull your E string out of the way and lightly tap on your frets ( where your string would be) with a Hard blunt object. (Guitar unplugged) You should here a nice metallic click on all your frets. A dead sounding click at the offending position would show a loose fret and lowered projection of tone.. Good Luck MS.

There are a bunch of issues that can cause this from string type to pickup pole piece placement. I would start with the string height and pole piece alignment then move across to the saddle. It wont be the fret.

Does it happen only on that note? Same pitch different string? That would tell you a lot.

There are a bunch of issues that can cause this from string type to pickup pole piece placement. I would start with the string height and pole piece alignment then move across to the saddle. It wont be the fret.

Does it happen only on that note? Same pitch different string? That would tell you a lot.

The only other place I can play the note is the open third string (unless you're including other octaves as well). I haven't tried comparing the two yet. I'll let you know how that works. Thanks for the tips.

The only other place I can play the note is the open third string (unless you're including other octaves as well). I haven't tried comparing the two yet. I'll let you know how that works. Thanks for the tips.

Check the open note and a few octaves. Basically you are ruling out any resonant problems and isolating it to that specific string and note. From there you need to eliminate other possible causes such as the most likely pickup alignment. While you are about it check other notes on that string carefully. It is unlikely that the pickup would chose just the one note to mess with. That isn't how they work. Also remember that you ears can play tricks with notes in the bass range.

Also remember that you ears can play tricks with notes in the bass range.

That's for sure, but it's showing up in the wav file as well. The note looks clearly (by 3 or 4 dB) lower than the others.

I'll try out the other notes and see what happens. Maybe I should go ahead and change strings beforehand; I wanted to put flats on it anyway.

---------- Update ----------

I find changing the strings every couple of decades is a good idea too... :thumbs up:

I suppose ... what a pain! :)

It's always worth plucking the dead string from the fingered position to the nut. Sometimes, these have quite defined pitches, and as you go up and down the neck, some of these can be on the same notes or first harmonic of the fretted note. Intonation wise, we adjust the bridge to give accurate tuning on that part of the string, so the top tuning is often a bit off. I wonder if it's the top bit vibrating in sympathy that is robbing the energy from the real note? I hear it on my jazz if I play it unplugged, vague phantom notes ringing out from the top end.

It's always worth plucking the dead string from the fingered position to the nut. Sometimes, these have quite defined pitches, and as you go up and down the neck, some of these can be on the same notes or first harmonic of the fretted note. Intonation wise, we adjust the bridge to give accurate tuning on that part of the string, so the top tuning is often a bit off. I wonder if it's the top bit vibrating in sympathy that is robbing the energy from the real note? I hear it on my jazz if I play it unplugged, vague phantom notes ringing out from the top end.

Very unlikely. It just dont work like that.

My money is still on string/p-up height. :thumbs up:

It's one of the easiest things to check. I would expect it to manifest on other notes as well however. As I said the way pickups work they are totly not worries about pitch.... Something is interfering with the string at that pitch and and at that point assuming that octaves and open strings are not affected.. It's a process of elimination and thats why I would set the pickup height first. If it works at fret one and three and not at fret two for example, it aint the pickup... Then it's time to look at body resonance. I have very rarely seen instruments that just don't like to vibrate at a certain pitch. The cure for that is to some how change the mass of the instrument somehow. Not easy and definitely a last resort...

It's one of the easiest things to check. I would expect it to manifest on other notes as well however. As I said the way pickups work they are totly not worries about pitch.... Something is interfering with the string at that pitch and and at that point assuming that octaves and open strings are not affected.. It's a process of elimination and thats why I would set the pickup height first. If it works at fret one and three and not at fret two for example, it aint the pickup... Then it's time to look at body resonance. I have very rarely seen instruments that just don't like to vibrate at a certain pitch. The cure for that is to some how change the mass of the instrument somehow. Not easy and definitely a last resort...

Oh crap did he just say it was one note? I think i missed that. Sorry dude. Good Catchy Catch.

Back