Installed the 'Black Ice' in a Bass

LazerBeakShiek

Find Polaris..and Return
There was a StewMac Black Ice passive overdrive rolling around my junk drawer. From projects long ago. The diagram to wire it is online. I was bored. Thinking back, I remembered that Black Ice was universally hated. After my installation the feelings are mixed.

5065_8.gif

I would not put this piece of shit in my guitars. It however might have potential in a bass.

On a push/ pull you would think it is slick. However the ICE diode action happens at the end of the knob. So 9-10 starts the fuzz. And then you are left with a 'thats it feeling'? No decrease in volume was found on activation. A mild fuzz helps thicken a bass instrument. If it could be blended I see it being useful. At 0.16 sec I engage at 10 then dial back to 9. At 8 its action becomes tone like. So if you could alter the knob value range to start at 6 and go to 10. But im not that good with wiring the circuits, to change the potentiometer curve.

It cuts different than a tone cap. Acceptable. Different, but is it usable?

What y'all think?

20200115_093612.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds like my old Earth2000 with a 215 cab being driven. Maybe even some SVT with an 810 now and then. I'm not sure I'd record with it but would do a live gig for sure.

Anybody try this Jazz Bass Overdrive wiring ? It uses the Tone control as a post trim. It supposedly gives the bass instrument a passive overdrive not unlike the Black Ice. I have some time this weekend, Ill see if I can..

is this legit?
Overdrive Wiring Diagram - small.jpg
Been a couple years, trying something else. Fresh..Im a try putting the Overdrive on a push/pull , so it can retain a tone knob position(shared push/pull).

Back