Inexpensive Guitar Repair in NYC?

I need a fret job on my acoustic, and I haven't received a local quote under $300, which I don't seem to remember as the going rate back in Texas. Anyone know of a good, inexpensive shop for such things?

Good and inexpensive do not go together in guitar repair, ever. If that is a quote for a refret, then it is a good deal. It seems a little high if it is just a fret dress n Minnesota, but I do not know what the going rate in NYC is. Remember, shops need to charge higher prices in NYC, because they have a much higher overhead than they do in Minnesota (or Texas, for that matter). If you want Texas rates, ship it back to Texas, but you will spend almost as much for the shipping as you would getting it done in NYC.

However, I can send you to a friend of mine (though she does not know this screen name, so no need to mention it). There is a woman named Susan Lindell, who works out of a place called Ludlow guitars (I don't have the address with me, as I am not at the shop). She does excellent work, and I would recommend her without reservation. If you go to her, you can count on getting an excellent job. I do not often make recommendations for shops, but in this case, I am happy to do so, as Susan is a very fine repair person.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Actually, Ludlow was one place I got the $300 quote from. They're a great shop, and I've bought a number of things there. If I choose among the ones I've called, I'll likely pick them.

Just casting a line to see if there's any cheaper alternative. Busking wages ain't the best.

Sir_Matthew said:
Actually, Ludlow was one place I got the $300 quote from. They're a great shop, and I've bought a number of things there. If I choose among the ones I've called, I'll likely pick them.

Just casting a line to see if there's any cheaper alternative. Busking wages ain't the best.
Take it to Suz, she is really terrific. One of the reasons I recommend her so highly is that I know she will not take advantage of you. If that is what she says it will cost to do it right, that is what it will cost. And I promise you, she is not making all that much either.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back