Impulse buy - NGD

teknomike

Oldbie
I've always liked the feel of a strat, just (generally) not the electronics. The first volume control was my nemesis, I'd always hit it at the wrong time, and turn down my volume.

So when I saw this locally last night, I had it bought and home within a couple hours. Less than a year old, with a hardshell case too. Poor student needed some money ... :D
Model is a 70's Pawnshop Stratocaster Deluxe. MiM, strat body, 70's neck and headstock, Tele pickup at the neck, Tele Deluxe HB (they call it an Enforcer) at the bridge. So far, I'm pretty pleased, but it needs a full workout, which I won't have time to get to for several days. Initial tests indicate that the Enforcer is going to be interesting.

Here's a photo that works. Actual guitar, no link this time.

Attachments

• PS Strat small.jpg
    PS Strat small.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Never seen one of those. I learned that you should buy what you want, if it plays nice. I bought quite a few Chinese copies to use as set decoration for a touring show - they were going to be trucked around and not played. Some were dogs. However, I kept two because they played really nicely and looked stunning. One, all knotty wood that looked amazing, is much lighter than the thing it pretends to be, but has a lovely jazzy tone when played without effects - so I'm keeping this one too!

That's really unusual guitar and its pretty cool. Its not really my cup of tea, I can't imagine spending money on it... but saying that I will soon have 4 guitars with a pair of humbuckers in! Maybe about time I got something different.

Thanx for the well wishes - I've had some people love it and others not; opinion-wise, it seems to be quite a polarizing guitar.
Had you paid in USD, the cost would have been about $320 bucks (a bit more in CAD ;) ). Not a bad deal, considering the hard case.

Nice looking guitar...though I've always been more partial to Tele's...but as long as you like, that's all that counts! :)

Man, I just went downstairs to play it, and it's, well, interesting.
It sounds darker than I expected, but that's good, it like it. Neck pickup is classic Tele.
However, the humbucker offers a bit of a bizarre single coil honk that I didn't expect. It's kinda cool.

But, I'm gonna have to wait to really give it a go, because I first plugged it into my Marshall Class 5, and all I got was hum. Son of a bitch. Simple troubleshooting didn't immediately point to a solution, so I'm gonna have to open it up. No time, or funds, if it needs that, though.
I played it through my 80's Japanese Fender Sidekick - one of the nicest sounding SS amps I've ever used, by the way - and it was perfectly fine, I just needed some dirt to go with that HB.

I like it because its different, sometimes those lipstick danelectro sc pups can sound amazing.

Im about strat'd out.... sometimes some strange is great.
After reading the Custom Shop photo album (thats a joke)...Dream Machine or whatever, it makes me think to do some crazy shit and mod-it. or something. you can regret it later if you go to sell it, but like GL said do it for yourself.

Everyone doesnt have to have the carbon xerox copied American thing going on all the time...standard, says it all.
sure its great blahblahblah American made .......but after awhile it really is blahblahblah and trying new stuff is required.

like Clapton swapping guitar parts to make his own fav, or GreenDays dude or whoever, Elliot Easton and Summers odd wiring, custom made for them...kind of like screw what other people think.

Thanx for the well wishes - I've had some people love it and others not; opinion-wise, it seems to be quite a polarizing guitar.
Had you paid in USD, the cost would have been about $320 bucks (a bit more in CAD ;) ). Not a bad deal, considering the hard case.
Weird guitars are great. The most important thing is down to how they feel anyway. If a guitar feels right you'll pick it up and play it and your style of music will adapt to the guitar.

Back