Improving acoustic tone question

hixmix

Halibut, North Dakota
I have a 21 year old Guild D-37. It's my primary songwriting and workhorse guitar but over the few years the tone has slowly been getting deader and flatter. Alot of the highs are going.

Other than new strings what can I do to improve the tone? Over the years the strings have worn into saddle like 1/16th to 1/8th inch. Will replacing saddle improve tone?

Should I have a tech replace everything? Bridge, bridge pins, saddle and nut?

Will doing all that improve tone?

hixie-

Check out some of Bob Colosi's stuff. A new bone or ivory saddle and/or nut would do wonders for your old guitar. Especially get a new saddle, those grooves are too deep, deadening the motion of your strings. Bob makes top notch stuff, I use ivory picks he hand makes and they're great!

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

H2H

Thanks. That explains alot. And my error, but I meant the strings have worn into the bridge 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch", not the saddle .

But I'm sure the saddle is worn considerably too because all the parts on the guitar are original.

A good bridge is important for good tone, too? Yes?

well...bridge saddle, sorta the same for an acoustic. The saddle is what the strings actually ride on. The bridge is under the saddle itself. But yeah, you'll be super suprised how it will change the tone of your guitar. :)

H2H

Also you might need a fret job if its that old and has been played hard. I just had this done to my 91 les paul that has a lot or use and the tone has improved 100 fold, also raised the nut to get rid of a bad buzz. Its worth the money sounds great now. A fret job will can cost around $300

Take it to someone who is GOOD, and get their opinion. To be honest, if everything is in good shape and setup right, then no, there is nothing to be done to improve the tone. If you want a guitar which sounds different, then get a different guitar. If things are not right, however, then a lot can be done by simply fixing the structural and geometrical problems.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back