im proud of myself

ZoSo58LP

rock guy
i just installed a killswitch in my strat on the righthand upper horn.....! i cut into the body myself and i just wired it how i figured it would work, and magically i was right haha yay im proud.

I just rewired both of my squiers! It really is a good feeling, I'm in this DIYmood now. I want to learn EVERYTHING. Only one of my two squiers is working though ... so I still have some work ahead of me. :)

jonnyc said:
How are your modded squires working out for you? What did you guys do to them?

My working Squier strat I put new pick ups on. New middle and neck pickup. DiMarzio HS2 and HS3. Honestly, I just finished it up today and haven't gotten to play it through my amp yet. I only played through my headphones on my practice amp which sounds .. ehh. :rolleyes: I had inherited the pickups so I figured I would try and through them on there because they will probably do better than my stock squier pick ups.

On my not working Squier strat, I put a Seymour Duncan humbucker JB Model (I think) on the bridge. I dremeled out a section of the pickguard so it would fit. I had it hooked up but I wasn't impressed by the sound of the Seymour Duncan really. It's supposed to be a hot output pickup and it really wasn't putting out much. I might have some phase problems or something but I didnt get a sound I liked. It seemed really thin sounding to me. The stock squier pickups sounded more full to me.

I suggest if you have the opportunity to noodle around with your squier, do it. Of course be careful as you don't want to ruin your guitar. Also if its your only guitar maybe you should think twice. Hell , why am I trying to write some lame disclaimer. Do whatever you want :) . Thanks, Erockrazor

lol, whenever people ask what it is or what my gear is i say a '96 Custom Fatstrat. haha

"On my not working Squier strat, I put a Seymour Duncan humbucker JB Model (I think) on the bridge. I dremeled out a section of the pickguard so it would fit. I had it hooked up but I wasn't impressed by the sound of the Seymour Duncan really. It's supposed to be a hot output pickup and it really wasn't putting out much. I might have some phase problems or something but I didnt get a sound I liked. It seemed really thin sounding to me. The stock squier pickups sounded more full to me."

really? in my squier I installed the Duncan SH4 JB too lol and it sounds amazing, I love it..

so yeah in mine i modded:
-new fender locking tuners
-seymour duncan SH4 JB bridge hum
-some mightymight single coil neck i got free
-took out the middle pickup/5way switch
-installed a 3way toggle where the middle knob would be
-running 2 volumes, no tone, so its pure pickup tone, rather than the tonal cutoff by adding a tone pot (i said tone like 20 times)
-then yesterday i routed out a hole in the upper horn, added a 2-way toggle killswitch to work in conjunction with my 3-way pickup selector toggle
-removed string trees

and thats basically it

Back