If You Play Guitar Everyday, Please Read This!

Buck62

噛んでくれ
Source: Guitar Player Magazine - www.guitarplayer.com
Date: June 1, 2003

Survivor's Tale

Michael Gurley

By Robbie Gennet

As guitarist for the alt power trio, Dada - and, more recently, Butterfly Jones - Michael Gurley’s fluid, shimmering Strat lines and rhythmic phrasing have made him an underground hero. He’s also capable of uncorking epic solos that wow concert audiences to the point of hysteria. Gurley may make it look easy now, but, at one time, he almost had to stop playing for good. This is how Gurley survived a guitar player’s worst nightmare: losing the use of his hands.

"The night after a New Year’s gig in 1994, my left index finger was numb and tingling," relates Gurley. "From there, the sensation moved into my left arm, and, pretty soon, both arms were hurting. I didn’t have the guts to take some time off to see what was wrong because I was the only guitarist in the band, and everyone was depending on me to be there."

"I took lots of anti-inflammatory medications, but I was still in so much pain that I couldn’t fall asleep unless I had both wrists in ice. I thought, ‘What am I going to do if I can’t play guitar?’ I was so desperate for a quick fix that I saw five different chiropractors, a couple of surgeons, an acupuncturist, and even a hypnotist! The most radical thing I did was to have Cortisone injections in my carpal tunnel area. The doctor said I might feel relief instantly, but it just caused more pain. Surgery was out of the question because I was getting conflicting opinions about whether it would help."

"I finally found out that my main problem was tendonitis - which you can’t operate on. I was told I had to stop playing guitar. Well, that wasn’t an option, so I started changing some things. I switched to extremely light, .008-gauge string sets - which, for a guitarist, is almost like admitting you wear a toupee - lowered my action, and tuned down a half step. I also take Advil before I play for its anti-inflammatory action, and I ice my arms for 15 minutes immediately after each gig. What has helped me a lot is a super-intense, deep massage called Rolfing. The idea is to break up the scar tissue or inflammation, and, for me, the pain really subsides after each session."

"If you don’t want this to happen you, don’t be macho. If you’re starting to feel pain when you play, just stop. I don’t care if you’re auditioning for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, nothing is worth messing up your hands. Ultimately, you have to face the fact you’re injured, and figure out what to do. Think about it - if I had just taken a break, I would probably be fine today."

Good advice Buck.

I went through the same thing while playing in a cover band. I had to ice my wrists for an hour before and after each gig and eat massive quantities of anti-inflammitories in order to play.

I finally quit the band, changed my playing style, and after about a year the pain was pretty much gone. Physical therapy (rolfing)helped a lot.

My biggest downfall was probably techinque, I used to squeeze the guitar neck way too tight.

I really love reading stories about overcomming adversity to follow your dream. And not alowing anything to stop them.

18 years ago... I cant believe it has been that long, I lost my ring finger on my left hand to an accident at work. It was ripped, not cut clean, so the doctors couldnt re-attatch. Of course, for a guitarist, at the time it was a nightmare. I tried switching to a 'lefty' and Gibson was going to make a lefty Les Paul for me. But after a couple of tries on an acoustic, I knew there wouldnt be any way possible to re-learn backwards.

I just altered styles, and now (still playing right hand), I'm better than ever. But it's taken alot of practice.

Definately good advice. My big problem now is I think I have early symptoms of arthritis. My fingers ache all the time, especially on my left hand.

Got kinda the same thing goin on. "Significant disease"(arthritis) were the words used by my neurologist when she described the results of my MRI. I also have it in my neck which is where the numbness and tingling in my fingers comes from. I was going to physical therapy twice a week for a while. I need to go back again now because the problem has returned with a vengance.:(

bd

Yeah I'm a classical pianist, and I'm majoring in piano performance.

I'm starting to feel wrist pains when I play Bach (his hardest prelude and fugue), and I'm hoping it's normal, because I won't stop playing.

My first audition is in a couple of weeks at Eastman School of Music so stopping the music is something I can't do. I'm definitely going to have it checked though.

I notice my hands swell (Become huge) everytime I do some weights at the gym. Could this be the begininng of a serious problem?

For what it's worth, a serious injury is one of the reasons i play guitar today. At the tender age of 6 I fell from a tree and did a real nasty to my left wrist and arm, double compound fracture in the forearm bones, shattered 5 of the 8 bones in my wrist and split the first bone in my thumb lengthwise. Needless to say I wore a cast for a while and required extensive therapy to regain use of my left hand. The doctor who set the bones expected me to only regain 15% use and informed me that I would never be a concert pianist, well he was right about the pianist part, I wanted to play guitar anyway, I had just started learning a few chords when this happened and wasn't ready to give up. It took several years to regain much use of my left hand and i may not have the flexability in my wrist that some do but I didn't let that stop me from many years of joy and making a few dollars playing guitar. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, I just hope I can inspire someone else to keep on playing, even when it seems like there is no hope. If I can overcome such a setback, surely others can too.

musicsdarkangel said:
Yeah I'm a classical pianist, and I'm majoring in piano performance.

I'm starting to feel wrist pains when I play Bach (his hardest prelude and fugue), and I'm hoping it's normal, because I won't stop playing.

My first audition is in a couple of weeks at Eastman School of Music so stopping the music is something I can't do. I'm definitely going to have it checked though.

I'd get that checked out. I believe it was Keith Jarrett who overworked his wrists, and now can no longer play at all.

Some can and some can't... those who can't, stop... and those who can, keep playing. I've been playing bass close to 30 years... and still play everyday.

between working on the computer at work and coming home and playing guitar, bass, and piano (master of none) I am pushing it. Slap bass is when it feels the worst. I am seeing an accupuncturist. The MDs didn't do much but give me meds. Things are getting better. One of the most important things is frequent breaks and stretching frequently.

Track Rat said:
Definately good advice. My big problem now is I think I have early symptoms of arthritis. My fingers ache all the time, especially on my left hand.

Me too, degenerative arthritis in both hands. Luckily, I'm not a very good guitar player (although I've played for 20+ years), so I don't have a lot to lose.:D

im 17 and have both, carpal tunnel and tendonitice, im a winner!

i stretch it alot, when my uncles in town he fixes me up, hes studing to be a chriopractor and is a practicing massage therapist.

i guess it started with the shotput, over extended my wrist every day for about 2 and a half years. now it just goes numb and swells, can clearly see the nice purple fingers from the lack of blood flow, and the swelling when i cant reach around my wrist.

it sucks. but im still playing.

freak

This stuff really scares the shit out of me. I've noticed that my wrists and hands have stopped hurting since I've been playing a lot less drums lately. I play both guitar and drums, and am pretty good at both, but I think I'll keep drumming as an occasional thing now.

Thanks for posting this!

Back