if you had...

...$2k to spend on a bass head for gigging, what would it be, and why? pretend like it's going to be driving an 8x10" cab.

man, there's so many of 'em and I don't actually think you need to spend 2k

But I have a SWR I really ,really like and they have some big dollar heads out now. Mine's an older SWR ..... pre-Fender for what that's worth. But I feel pretty sure their new stuff is still good.

Eden is great stuff but I prefer the sound of my SWR to most of the Edens I've played thru. The Edens seem to have a 'family' sound that , I don't know ...... I can't put my finger on it but they don't quite float my boat.

Ampeg's not actually that high on my list.

Mark bass amps are pretty cool.

Mesa, of course.

Why 2k and what kinda power you wanna get?

I'm not a bassist, so this post is worthless.

But, I've always loved Tool's bass sound - punchy, aggressive, and articulate - and a bit of googling tells me that he uses a Mesa M-2000. Since I already love their guitar amps, a Mesa head would be where I'd probably start looking. :)

But, again, I'm a guitarist not a bassist, so I know jack shit about bass amplification. :)

For the 8x10" cab I've always have used the Ampeg SVT for that SOUND.
But man with the weight of those and at my age....one has to be careful not to pop a nut!!! :eek:

:cool:

But man with the weight of those and at my age....one has to be careful not to pop a nut!!! :eek:

yeah ..... I played thru one of those with 2 cabs in the 70's. It was like carrying two refrigerators around!
Nowadays though, you can get much more power and just as good a sound in much lighter packages. Although 350 watts of tube power is like about umpty jillion SS watts!
:D

Mesa Bass 400+ with a Powerhouse cab is my dream amp but for an 8x10 I'd probably go with a Mesa Bog Block 750 or Titan V-12. GK, Mark, SWR, EDEN all make great bass amps. But really anything but a (Viet N)Am-peg is okay by me.

it ain't for me. i'm done gigging on bass. it's for a friend. he has a vintage ampeg head and he's sick of dumping cash into it everytime something rattles around inside of it. he wants a sturdy solid state head that thumps.

I've got an MTI era SVT with 8 10's. It sounds great but it never leaves my studio. I can't even stack the damn thing by myself.

Jesus! I remember a bass player auditioning for our band many years ago and we had to carry it down a flight of stairs-and back up-it just about killed us all and we were still kids in those days.:mad:
Only thing that was as bad was the keyboard players Hammond B3~:eek:

Only thing that was as bad was the keyboard players Hammond B3~:eek:
:D
I've got a new band situation coming up and the keyboard player has a B3 and 2 Leslies.
I told him, "Yeah they sound good but how you gonna move it?"
He said, "It called band members."
He can kiss my ass, I'm not moving a B fucking 3.

:laughings:

I bought a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 1-15 last January and it's my lifetime amp. You can get something with more bling but not with more tone. I've played through it at outdoor gigs and at senior centers. It's the best sounding amp I've ever heard and it is always present without being annoying. A lot of guys use the head with other cabs, and they all seem to work.

And Mesa/Boogie warranty work is exemplary, unlike the flavor-of-the-day other makers.

Back