If i have two 16 ohms speakers, is it 16 or 8 ohms?

Ostia Man

hi!
If i have two 16 ohms speakers, is it 16 or 8 ohms?
how should I conect them?
the amp has two 8ohms speaker and a friend with, a meter(i dont know if thats the correct name for it), told me they were running in 4ohms because of the way they were conected. I have two celestion 16ohms(V30). if i conect them the same way it will be 8ohms... rigth?
or should they be 16..?
also the amp has 4 8 and 16 ohms options.

This won't answer your question, but the same principle will apply!.....I think!

I have a 100Watt Valve Amp, when I run one Quad Box loaded with 4 Celestion 75Watt speakers I have the setting on my amp set at 16 ohms, but when I hook up another Quad Box loaded with 4 Celestion 75 Watt speakers also, which is a full stack (2 Quad Boxes) I switch the amp setting to 8 ohms.

Two 16-ohm speakers connected in parallel (+ terminal to + terminal, - terminal to - terminal) will yield an impedance of 8 ohms. The same two speakers wired in series (+ to - to + to -) will yield 32 ohms.

you will also deliver more wattage into a lower rated impedance.
If you were to get two more 16 ohm speakers and wire them paralell, then wire them in parallel with the other two you could bring it down to four ohms impedance.

PS, don't forget to set the amps impedance selector to match the impedance of the load.

Back