I want to BUILD a GUITAR Amp

Man I've always wanted to do the same thing. I'm also interested in doing effects. If you do some searching you'll find a whole boatload of sites with schematics and whatnot. Harmony central is a great place to start.

Don't think it's going to save you any money though because it really won't unless you plan to build a lot of em :)

Keep us informed on your progress once you get started. I'd be very interested to hear how you do. Someday I'd love to play a home-made guitar through home-made effects through a home-made amplifier. What a thrill!

Slackmaster 2000

Does anybody have any idea where I might start to look for how-to advice on building my own guitar amp? Has anybody tried it? Does anybody recommend for/against it?

Any guidance sure would be appreciated. I view it primarily as a learning experience.

Thanks ahead of time. :-)

JLLFAN:

Look around at http://harmonycentral.com in the guitar department, there is quite a bit of info on all sorts of stuff there, including links to amp building information sites.

Looks like a pretty detailed undertaking to me. Good Luck. :)

dmc

I haven't checked it out yet, but thanks for the pointer!

I realize it's going to be an involved project. But I'm willing to learn, research, and makes lots of mistakes.

Thanks again.

Has anybody out there actually done this?!

I did, a long time ago. It was a modified "Heathkit". I don't know if they're even around anymore. It was a great learning experience, but it sounded like crap.
You'll probably have better luck.

I'm just going to mention my https://homerecording.com/musiclynx.html page because I have some good links on that one.

Also that I remember those Heathkits too and I'm glad I never bought one because like Loudnaybor said, they were solid state and sounded terrible.

You might want to start with one of the Paia kits; make a preamp and see how it goes. I have some schematics around for bass amps, which are easier to make "at home" while still getting a good sound. I think you can make a 80 watt amp for maybe $100 or so, preamp and speakers and hardware extra.

Check out Allen Amplifiers. They have a website and are linked to www.vintageguitar.com. They have several point to point kits that are from all reviews I've read, premium boutique quality amps that are better than the classic Fender amps they are based on. I'm looking at building their 7W Amp based on the Marshall plexi preamp for a recording amp. They make all Wattages, and are apparently very friendly to deal with.

Here is a cool way to make a small cranking amp, for very little money...

1. Buy or otherwise obtain an old tape recorder. Cassette or reel to reel, older tube one would be fantastic! (these can be found at garage sales and flea markets for $10 bucks or less!)

2. Rip out the record head (Heads if stereo) and solder a 1/4 inch guitar jack to the wire that was attached to the head. (Braided Shield to ring, single conductor to tip).

3. Put machine into "Record" mode. (You may have to fool the machine into thinking a tape is there, use tape or wire ties)

4. Crank up the volume! It will scream! (Use the volume knob on your guitar or record level on tape deck to control level).

5. Don't worry this wont hurt your guitar, it may blow the cheap speakers in the tape recorder. (Replace with a big 10in or 12in 100 watt guitar speaker!)

6. I have done this with several old tape machines, some work great, some don't sound so good, but they all will amplify your guitar!)

7. If you want to get fancy, mount the guts inside a nice cabinet you build, and add a volume control to the input (500K ohm Potentiometer) I have done this and even sold them as practice amps!
Happy Soldering

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

[This message has been edited by Dom Franco (edited 01-02-2000).]

HI,
I build guitar amps and effects as a hobby. I recommend 2 books to read along with any basic electronics book that has soldering skills. The 2 books are "Inside tube amps" by Dan torres and "electronic Projects for musicians" by Craig Anderton, You can get these books at tubesandmore.com These are the books I started out with. Even with an extensive electronics background as I have, I have found these books very useful. I hope this helps.

Back