I think Metal is becoming monotonous.

Are most of today's metal bands becoming monotonous?

• yes

Votes: 38 79.2%
  • no

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters

myhatbroke

Cocktacular Member
Well all you guys keep arguing that metal is not dead and Metallica doesn't own and blablabla this blablabla that,OK WHATEVER. BUT this you cannot argue with. When you listen to one metal band nowadays you listened to all of them pretty much. THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME. You may rag on on Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold but when you come to think of it, THEY SOUND ALOT MORE ORIGINAL and can be recognised quickly. Its ridiculous how ALIKE all these underground metal bands are. I have thousands of songs that I've downloaded from underground metal sites,legally ofcourse. And maybe 4 or 5 bands are distinct. And thats what is lacking today. Bands from back in the day were more original. Slayer can come up with a new song Ive never heard and yet I can still tell its them. All of theml had a unique sound. NOW, all the bands just scream and play a really fast riff and beat the hell out of the drums. SO THATS WHEN I SAY METAL IS DYING OR EVEN DEAD. Yes its still out there but the fervor and spirit of it is gone.Theres no style really. Could it be that the 80's was the climax like I said before and now there's not much more to do with metal? AND YESS I know theres a few bands out there doing progressive stuff and I like it. But for most bands its the SAME "NEW" OLD THING if you get what I mean.

myhatbroke said:
Well all you guys keep arguing that metal is not dead and Metallica doesn't own and blablabla this blablabla that,OK WHATEVER. BUT this you cannot argue with. When you listen to one metal band nowadays you listened to all of them pretty much. THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME. You may rag on on Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold but when you come to think of it, THEY SOUND ALOT MORE ORIGINAL and can be recognised quickly. Its ridiculous how ALIKE all these underground metal bands are. I have thousands of songs that I've downloaded from underground metal sites,legally ofcourse. And maybe 4 or 5 bands are distinct. And thats what is lacking today. Bands from back in the day were more original. Slayer can come up with a new song Ive never heard and yet I can still tell its them. All of theml had a unique sound. NOW, all the bands just scream and play a really fast riff and beat the hell out of the drums. SO THATS WHEN I SAY METAL IS DYING OR EVEN DEAD. Yes its still out there but the fervor and spirit of it is gone.Theres no style really. Could it be that the 80's was the climax like I said before and now there's not much more to do with metal? AND YESS I know theres a few bands out there doing progressive stuff and I like it. But for most bands its the SAME "NEW" OLD THING if you get what I mean.

Let me know when you come up with the next great original thing, until then, I'm going to keep listening to my old records...And when you're of age to drink, you can find underground bars instead of downloading underground stuff and get a real picture of what's out there.

Dumby said:
Let me know when you come up with the next great original thing, until then, I'm going to keep listening to my old records...And when you're of age to drink, you can find underground bars instead of downloading underground stuff and get a real picture of what's out there.
Im in a band DUDE. SO dont tell me that. AND YEA I am trying to come up with somethin new. :D

myhatbroke said:
AND YEA I am trying to come up with somethin new. :D

join the club of many

however I have to agree that most metal bands sound the same these days & it's boring, the weedling was original & knew in the early 80s but YEESH it must be due for "something" knew

I did notice that nobody's said no to the poll yet

I seems like everyone's turning to "black metal" nowadays. I thought it was a joke (Immortal!), but it's not.

Beating a dead horse
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In American English, "beating a dead horse" is an idiom which is most often used as a retort used to make clear that a particular request or line of conversation is already foreclosed, mooted, or otherwise resolved. In Australian English and British English, the phrase is more usually rendered as "flogging a dead horse".

The linguistic roots of this phrase draw on an allusion to literally "whipping" or "beating" a deceased horse in order to make it get up and go. Such efforts, of course, would be utterly fruitless, as a dead horse is extremely unlikely to walk, much less move.

Likewise, when one is "beating a dead horse", one is flailing at a dead or useless idea.

This term is different from "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" which refers to not taking action until after a problem has already occurred. Rather, "beating a dead horse" is about the futility of one's complaints or actions.

When one "shuts the stable door after the horse has bolted" it does not return the bolted horse, but it does keep other horses from escaping the same way. However, when one is "beating a dead horse", no amount of action or argument is going to change the facts or the situation.

Beating off a dead horse

In American English, "beating off a dead horse" is an idiom most often used when describing a sick fuck who uses his hand to jerk the meat of an already deceased horse. In Australia and Britian, the phrase is more usually rendered as "fucking a dead horse", which is practiced by only the most demented sickos of the bunch.

espskully said:
Beating off a dead horse

In American English, "beating off a dead horse" is an idiom most often used when describing a sick fuck who uses his hand to jerk the meat of an already deceased horse. In Australia and Britian, the phrase is more usually rendered as "fucking a dead horse", which is practiced by only the most demented sickos of the bunch.

laughing like a.................I don't know what I'm laughing like but my sides hurt

MAN whatever its true what I'm saying. And its true that metal went downhill in the 90's. But I personally think that those screamo bands and hardcore or w/e are doing a good job,even if they are going mainstream. I am trying to stick to the 80's roots but not actually write 80's songs. You know? All these metal bands need a little kick. Some style. Its weird to explain. :confused:

myhatbroke said:
MAN whatever its true what I'm saying. And its true that metal went downhill in the 90's. But I personally think that those screamo bands and hardcore or w/e are doing a good job,even if they are going mainstream. I am trying to stick to the 80's roots but not actually write 80's songs. You know? All these metal bands need a little kick. Some style. Its weird to explain. :confused:

What's weird is having sex with horse carcases.

Sorry, I'll go back to the Cave now.

To be honest I am unimpressed with 95% of the metal out there. I think most of it just sucks ass.

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say it's something in the air.
There seems to be an insane amount of hostility and unhappiness in the world, and in turn that affects people who strive to be truly creative. It's leading to musicians only going to familiar territory, ie what they grew up on, and as a result all sounds too much alike.

That's not even considering how hard it is to get mainstream exposure if you are creative in an original way, seeing as how originality now is different than 50 years ago. Instead of breaking out the Gibson and shaking your hips, you've got to break the Gibson with your hips.

Metal pretty much sucks, sort of like you put on the that rock n roll record and it's the same old rock n roll record. It' the same thing. Don't get me wrong I play in a "metal" band. The problem is that people are so narrow minded in the descriptions. They say " that's not true metal" or whatever it is they whine about. Metallica is the most overly redundant bullshit, and people that refuse to give that up and move on are being difficult.

I'll use this analagy which is the same I gave my wife before I got married to her which that in itself is a bit of hypocrisy. "it's like eating a bologna sandwich everyday for the rest of your life".

The shit gets old pretty guick. If I'm gonna listen to something and I want it to be totally captivating why the hell would I want to listen to the same song done by 1,000,000 different bands?

Now don't get me wrong I like heavy shit, but jesus be original. One of the funniest things to me is reading all these myspace pages and seeing things like "they've carved out they're own spot in metal" translates into sounds the same as something that came before it. Is that to say that people can't borrow from things that came before? No absolutly not, but take thoughts and process them in your own right.

I recommend these bands for new interesting things in the so called metal genre:

Kayo Dot: the laziest "heavy band you'll hear"
candiria: last album was a bit to "radio metal" but never the less
Psyopus: tap tap bitchs
The number 12 looks like you: pretensious shit but good
Lighting Bolt: bass and drums the noisiest heaviest shit you've heard in a long time

I'll stop there. Thing about it is, all these bands are more a fusion of alot of different things. I think that's the only way to keep things original or for that matter interesting.

I'm done ranting

myhatbroke....every post ive read of yours in the past week has been about metal. You know the only good metal band is man-o-war, so deal with it. They are the only band that still has the thirst for blood that the vikings did. Now go rock out to brothers of metal and be forgiven by the metal gods.

haha....this thread reminds me of some band i saw on myspace a while back, talking about how their mix of brutal drumming and crazy breakdowns and blah blah blah makes them the most original metal band around

too bad for them they mentioned a whole bunch of cliche bullshit that every band out there throws around

and yea, metal is getting pretty monotonous...and this is coming from a huge metal guy...but you also have to realize that there's 2435843096891238 metal bands that do/have existed, which makes it hard to be truly original

on the other hand, i think a lot of the problem is all the "scene" fuckers who buy into all the cliche bullshit i mentioned above...people ask me all the time what kind of stuff i'm writing for a band i'm trying to get together, and i tell them it's metal...so then they ask "well what kind of metal, dude?"...and i tell them, "whatever riff i come up with that i like"

so, in short, fuck labels, and fuck boundaries

Last edited:
Ironklad Audio said:
haha....this thread reminds me of some band i saw on myspace a while back, talking about how their mix of brutal drumming and crazy breakdowns and blah blah blah makes them the most original metal band around

too bad for them they mentioned a whole bunch of cliche bullshit that every band out there throws around

and yea, metal is getting pretty monotonous...and this is coming from a huge metal guy...but you also have to realize that there's 2435843096891238 metal bands that do/have existed, which makes it hard to be truly original

on the other hand, i think a lot of the problem is all the "scene" fuckers who buy into all the cliche bullshit i mentioned above...people ask me all the time what kind of stuff i'm writing for a band i'm trying to get together, and i tell them it's metal...so then they ask "well what kind of metal, dude?"...and i tell them, "whatever riff i come up with that i like"

so, in short, fuck labels, and fuck boundaries
DUDE AMEN! That shit happnes to me alot! SOmetimes I come up with a punkish riff and they're like thats not metal dude get that outta here.But in my mind Im thinking of how I can incorporate it into a song that won't be just flat out "punk". One of the bands that I really love is Dream Theatre. Those dudes are amazing! They have a real distinct style! Another band that reminds me of them is Echosilence. Man we have to join our metal heads and stop this madness! Enough with cliches and traditions!

myhatbroke said:
DUDE AMEN! That shit happnes to me alot! SOmetimes I come up with a punkish riff and they're like thats not metal dude get that outta here.But in my mind Im thinking of how I can incorporate it into a song that won't be just flat out "punk". One of the bands that I really love is Dream Theatre. Those dudes are amazing! They have a real distinct style! Another band that reminds me of them is Echosilence. Man we have to join our metal heads and stop this madness! Enough with cliches and traditions!

Ill sacrifice a sheep to that.

Back