I really hate my guitar tone

D'Lunacy

For as long as I've been playing, I've always had a nasaly sound to my tone in my lead playing, which I hate. It doesn't matter what guitars I'm playing, or what amps I'm playing on, it's always there.
Doesn't matter if I use light or heavier strings, it's there. Doesn't matter if I scoop the mids (which I try not to do for leads), you get the picture. Even now, with computer recording, and using high end VSTs, I get really good sounds, but when I record, and listen to the playback, there it is, that snot nasaly tone.

The problem is clearly my fingers. How in the hell do you change something like this?

For as long as I've been playing, I've always had a nasaly sound to my tone in my lead playing, which I hate. It doesn't matter what guitars I'm playing, or what amps I'm playing on, it's always there.
Doesn't matter if I use light or heavier strings, it's there. Doesn't matter if I scoop the mids (which I try not to do for leads), you get the picture. Even now, with computer recording, and using high end VSTs, I get really good sounds, but when I record, and listen to the playback, there it is, that snot nasaly tone.

The problem is clearly my fingers. How in the hell do you change something like this?

See a hand doctor for surgery if you got problems with your fingers.

Try better speakers if it sounds bad.

Try different mikes if it sounds really good except on playback.

How does the spectrum of your nasaly stuff compare to the spectrum of a recording that sounds good?

See a hand doctor for surgery if you got problems with your fingers.

When I say it's my fingers, I'm not saying I've got a medical problem with my hands.
It's said that most of your tone actually comes from your fingers. I'm implying that my poor tone is ME, and not my equipment.

When I say it's my fingers, I'm not saying I've got a medical problem with my hands.
It's said that most of your tone actually comes from your fingers. I'm implying that my poor tone is ME, and not my equipment.

okay

and here i thought the tone came from the vibrating string
but you say you changed them with no improvement.

how many ways can you pluck pick or hit a string
try using a different way if you dont like the tone it makes

dont like your nails then use a pick
dont like your pick then find a different one

change something else and see what works better

I think it's more likely to be the choice of microphone, the room, and/or the monitoring setup.
They do say the tone comes from the fingers but I think that's more making the point that the best gear in the world is no use if you don't play like a musician.
Where you pick or pluck, relative to the bridge, affects how bright or full the sound is going to be,
and how much, if at all, you move your fretting fingers is going to affect how much, or how little, vibrato or bend is going on.

Unless you're always picking very near the bridge, I'd say a nasal sound is coming from the equipment or environment rather than you.

What's your recording set up like? A lot of people get a shock when first recording electric guitar with a close mic because it usually sounds nothing like what they expect.
A single capture source a few inches from a speaker is never going to sound the same as a pair of ears several feet away and, usually, several feet higher.
That's just one of those things which takes some experimenting and getting used to.

Last edited:
Can we hear some of this tone?

I have a hard time believing you changed all that and nothing changes tone wise.

Thank you; my thoughts exactly. (and welcome back.)

Post up a clip, solo and within the context of a song. Let's hear what you have.

You can test out your theory about it being your fingers and or playing style by having some other guitar player come and play in your set-up with your guitar. Both of you play the same part and see what happens. Yes....approach.....style.....fingers....experience.....amp.....speaker.....guitar model.....pickups.....mic......on and on....all play a part in tone.........but if you've changed pretty much everything......and get the same sound......that's hard to understand.

PS

the other thing that determines the sound is the guitar body itself

have you tried a different guitar ?

Fingers can't cause a 'nasaly' sound. If you don't like the tone no matter the guitar, strings or amp, then 1) it's your ears; or 2) you need to figure out amp/guitar tone and volume settings to get the sound you want.

As the existence of our entire species doesn't even register a blip in the cosmos, in the carving of canyons and evolution of species, the indifference of space and the endless millennia that grind all known and unknown universes into dust gazillions of times over, you will be pleased to know your guitar tone (and everyone who's ever heard it) will be quickly forgotten.

Everyone says "your tone comes from your fingers"...but that's not really true.
It's really your style that comes from your fingers...but your tone is primarily the guitar-pickups-amp-cab...and how you mic it when you record it.

Also...without more details about the gear and how you record your guitar...and/or some sound clips as examples...this discussion is pointless.

Here's an odd idea: drop the electricity for a while and sentence yourself to a month or so of acoustic fat camp. It will transform you fingers, reduce them to nubs, and most likely alter you baked-in notions of tone. When you plug in again and go back to screaming leads, you may have a different perspective. Perhaps the problem will disappear or you'll have new insights into the relationship between fingers and tone. You may also come to the realization that playing an electric guitar seems really easy compared to the old acoustic battle axe. :D You could also give up and take up slide. The world needs another Duane Allman and slide will eliminate your fingers as a variable.

A: Record guitar. B: Fire up the eq and locate the offending frequency. C: Use an eq pedal with that frequency cut in your chain.

Your picking attack, pics used, where you grip your pic (how much you choke up on it) have a lot to do with it.

You say youve changed many things. Amp, mic, guitars, etc? If so, what is the one constant? YOU.

Try this experiment. For one month play WITHOUT a pick.
Play with fingers, thumb, sometimes use the back of your fingernail. You'll notice how different the sound or tone is depending on how and with what part of your hand is being used.

Hey, in worst case, it'll still make you a better player.
:D

Try this experiment. For one month play WITHOUT a pick.
Play with fingers, thumb, sometimes use the back of your fingernail. You'll notice how different the sound or tone is depending on how and with what part of your hand is being used.

I've been doing that more and more lately...no pick.
There's some things that are easier with the pick, real fast runs...but then without the pick, there's a way you can transition between the strings that's actually smoother and it lets you get a different feel to the playing...and yes, your finger or nail will sound different than any pick, especially when you use all the different parts of your finger, like you said.
I REALLY enjoy playing without a pick...but I have to remember to use it every so often, just so I don't lose that feel.
It's funny, right about the time I transitioned over to the small Jazz III red picks...is when I started also getting more and more into not using a pick...but those Jazz III picks have their own interesting effect on your picking. Between them and using my fingers, I can't ever go back to the standard size picks, especially for leads.

So in that regard, I think you can say that the tone IS in your fingers...your picking fingers! :p

The difference in sound and tone can be quite dramatic. Say you're strunning a chord using your nail (s) with a down stroke where your nails are gliding off the strings, then you're doing an upstroke with your fingertips (just flesh).
Lots of difference in tone.

I've never seen Jeff Beck use a pick, and everytime I've seen him play, I've left with confusion......how the hell does he get those sounds???

Well, he's just a master......with both hands.

Toy Caldwell from the Marshall Tucker Band is an interesting case study too.
He'll do quite intricate solos using only his thumb.

Anyway, its a worhwhile experiment to try to learn using one's hands. It definately takes most people out of their comfort jone. Which is good.
:D

Back