Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I really hate my guitar tone

Thanks

I really hate my guitar tone

Sign in to disable this ad
    For as long as I've been playing, I've always had a nasaly sound to my tone in my lead playing, which I hate. It doesn't matter what guitars I'm playing, or what amps I'm playing on, it's always there.
    Doesn't matter if I use light or heavier strings, it's there. Doesn't matter if I scoop the mids (which I try not to do for leads), you get the picture. Even now, with computer recording, and using high end VSTs, I get really good sounds, but when I record, and listen to the playback, there it is, that snot nasaly tone.

The problem is clearly my fingers. How in the hell do you change something like this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Lunacy View Post
    For as long as I've been playing, I've always had a nasaly sound to my tone in my lead playing, which I hate. It doesn't matter what guitars I'm playing, or what amps I'm playing on, it's always there.
    Doesn't matter if I use light or heavier strings, it's there. Doesn't matter if I scoop the mids (which I try not to do for leads), you get the picture. Even now, with computer recording, and using high end VSTs, I get really good sounds, but when I record, and listen to the playback, there it is, that snot nasaly tone.

The problem is clearly my fingers. How in the hell do you change something like this?

See a hand doctor for surgery if you got problems with your fingers.

Try better speakers if it sounds bad.

Try different mikes if it sounds really good except on playback.

How does the spectrum of your nasaly stuff compare to the spectrum of a recording that sounds good?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    See a hand doctor for surgery if you got problems with your fingers.
    When I say it's my fingers, I'm not saying I've got a medical problem with my hands.
    It's said that most of your tone actually comes from your fingers. I'm implying that my poor tone is ME, and not my equipment.

Thanks
    When I say it's my fingers, I'm not saying I've got a medical problem with my hands.
    It's said that most of your tone actually comes from your fingers. I'm implying that my poor tone is ME, and not my equipment.
    okay

and here i thought the tone came from the vibrating string
    but you say you changed them with no improvement.

how many ways can you pluck pick or hit a string
    try using a different way if you dont like the tone it makes

dont like your nails then use a pick
    dont like your pick then find a different one

change something else and see what works better

Thanks
    I think it's more likely to be the choice of microphone, the room, and/or the monitoring setup.
    They do say the tone comes from the fingers but I think that's more making the point that the best gear in the world is no use if you don't play like a musician.
    Where you pick or pluck, relative to the bridge, affects how bright or full the sound is going to be,
    and how much, if at all, you move your fretting fingers is going to affect how much, or how little, vibrato or bend is going on.

Unless you're always picking very near the bridge, I'd say a nasal sound is coming from the equipment or environment rather than you.

What's your recording set up like? A lot of people get a shock when first recording electric guitar with a close mic because it usually sounds nothing like what they expect.
    A single capture source a few inches from a speaker is never going to sound the same as a pair of ears several feet away and, usually, several feet higher.
    That's just one of those things which takes some experimenting and getting used to.
    Last edited by Steenamaroo; 03-28-2019 at 09:05.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Can we hear some of this tone?

I have a hard time believing you changed all that and nothing changes tone wise.
    "Nahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. I ain't touching that mic. That thing's expensive."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowsofFritz View Post
    Can we hear some of this tone?

I have a hard time believing you changed all that and nothing changes tone wise.
    Thank you; my thoughts exactly. (and welcome back.)

Post up a clip, solo and within the context of a song. Let's hear what you have.

Thanks
    You can test out your theory about it being your fingers and or playing style by having some other guitar player come and play in your set-up with your guitar. Both of you play the same part and see what happens. Yes....approach.....style.....fingers....experience.....amp.....speaker.....guitar model.....pickups.....mic......on and on....all play a part in tone.........but if you've changed pretty much everything......and get the same sound......that's hard to understand.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    PS

the other thing that determines the sound is the guitar body itself

have you tried a different guitar ?

Thanks
    Fingers can't cause a 'nasaly' sound. If you don't like the tone no matter the guitar, strings or amp, then 1) it's your ears; or 2) you need to figure out amp/guitar tone and volume settings to get the sound you want.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information