I played a bunch of amps today....

Dude, you gotta get some tribals if you wanna be cool in the late 90s to early 2000s! Maybe get a PRS and play wearing just a leather vest and tight pants with your leg up on the monitor during solos..."with arms wide open..."

Those post-grunge bands of the late 90's early 2000's were some of the absolute worst shit ever. Creed, Alterbridge, Godsmack, Nickelback - all total and complete garbage. That shit was so bad. That was damn near the end of rock and roll. I didn't think it would recover. Thank God for the "indie" movement....jeez, I never thought I'd say that.

Thank God for the "indie" movement....jeez, I never thought I'd say that.

haha, i thought the same thing. I don't know anyone who liked that early 2000s cock rock, or the stupid rap rock stuff (korn, limpbizkit)...who did that junk ever get on the radio?

you know, I hate rap, but I also hate radio rock. If all I heard was radio rock I'd think rock sucked too. So maybe there's some good rap that just doesn't get any airtime? Nah...probably not.

haha, i thought the same thing. I don't know anyone who liked that early 2000s cock rock, or the stupid rap rock stuff (korn, limpbizkit)...who did that junk ever get on the radio?

you know, I hate rap, but I also hate radio rock. If all I heard was radio rock I'd think rock sucked too. So maybe there's some good rap that just doesn't get any airtime? Nah...probably not.

Couldn't agree more. I used to listen to a lot of 90's radio in the shops I worked in. It all seemed to go to hell some time around 97-98. All the one-word post-grunge bands of the late 90's- Tool, Fuel, Korn, Staind, Godsmack, Sevendust, Creed, etc - all sucked balls. Sucked horribly. So bad. That shit is shit. I hate it.

I generally have a strong dislike for rap. Modern rap is a parody of itself. It's been that way for a while. I don't hate the musical form as much as I hate the cliche and stereotype of it all. I have respect for the early days of rap. I don't like it or listen to it, but as far as I know groups like Run-DMC and guys like Afrika Bambaataa were like punk rock for black people. I'm cool with that. Hip-hop was the black kid's musical revolution, and like all musical revolutions, it got really watered down and fucked up by the posers. There's a very clear parallel between punk and rap. They both were important musical movements that got fucked up by posers and eventual mainstream acceptance.

only has like 4 or 5 knobs compared to the NASA mission control interface that is the Mark V.

:D lol

It seems that way but it's actually pretty straightforward and easy to understand. But you can end up having a hard time settling in on a sound.

:D lol

It seems that way but it's actually pretty straightforward and easy to understand. But you can end up having a hard time settling in on a sound.

All those mini toggles and modes just kind of had my head swimming on a day that was already at max sensory overload. Complicated amps don't bother me - I can work a JVM just fine - but something about the layout on the Mark V just didn't click with me right away. I'd like to spend more time with one. I gotta go to GC this week, maybe I'll give it another spin.

A bunch of posts missing, that would be me. Carry on with the celebration of amps, but don't hijack a thread to sell your own.

All those mini toggles and modes just kind of had my head swimming on a day that was already at max sensory overload. Complicated amps don't bother me - I can work a JVM just fine - but something about the layout on the Mark V just didn't click with me right away. I'd like to spend more time with one. I gotta go to GC this week, maybe I'll give it another spin.
I don't think GC carries Mesa.
But the layout ...... for now ignore the back panel. The front panel is pretty simple ..... ya' got 3 channels which are all identical control wise. So on each channel the middle switch simply controls whether the graphic turns on automatically for that channel or you have to footswitch it on .... so you can ignore that one.
The other two switches ...... top one chooses which of 3 voicings that channel has and it makes a big difference in the sound of each channel so fool with that one.
The bottom one chooses whether that channel is 90, 45 or 10 watts. Self explanatory.
Also the channels can have an additional switch that's simply a bright switch on one ...... ummm .... I think two choices of Mark II voicings on another ....... forgot the third channel or if it even has one.

So when you get your hands on one again ..... look at a single channel .... say the first one which is 3 versions of clean. Treat it as if it's the entire amp. Ignore the other channels until you have this one down. Then it's not really so many switches and knobs.
Once you have a single channel down then the other two are the same other than different voicings.

It's kinda like 3 amps in one with each amp having it's own complete set of controls so it looks pretty intimidating because you have 3 amps worth of knobs and switches on it's front panel. But as soon as you realize you simply have 3 amps sitting side by side it immediately gets easy.

There are other knobbies and controls of course ...... the graphic has it's own buncha switches but they simply choose whether you're using the graphic or the preset 'V' EQ knob to the right of the graphic. The 'V' shape knob is a mid-cut metal type EQ and the more you turn the knob up the more mid cut there is. I pretty much use the graphic instead since I don't play metal and I'm not looking for a mid-cut.
Although on the clean channel the 'V' EQ gives it that Fendery 'sparkle'.

Those are the basics so just ignore anything eles. There are a lot of other features such as solid state or tube rectification but they're on the back panel so screw 'em for right now.

Oh .... and the global master volume and the boost function only work if the FX loop is ON. Each channel also has it's own master volume so you can get them all the same loudness.

There ....... easy as pie!

I don't think GC carries Mesa.
But the layout ...... for now ignore the back panel. The front panel is pretty simple ..... ya' got 3 channels which are all identical control wise. So on each channel the middle switch simply controls whether the graphic turns on automatically for that channel or you have to footswitch it on .... so you can ignore that one.
The other two switches ...... top one chooses which of 3 voicings that channel has and it makes a big difference in the sound of each channel so fool with that one.
The bottom one chooses whether that channel is 90, 45 or 10 watts. Self explanatory.
Also the channels can have an additional switch that's simply a bright switch on one ...... ummm .... I think two choices of Mark II voicings on another ....... forgot the third channel or if it even has one.

So when you get your hands on one again ..... look at a single channel .... say the first one which is 3 versions of clean. Treat it as if it's the entire amp. Ignore the other channels until you have this one down. Then it's not really so many switches and knobs.
Once you have a single channel down then the other two are the same other than different voicings.

It's kinda like 3 amps in one with each amp having it's own complete set of controls so it looks pretty intimidating because you have 3 amps worth of knobs and switches on it's front panel. But as soon as you realize you simply have 3 amps sitting side by side it immediately gets easy.

There are other knobbies and controls of course ...... the graphic has it's own buncha switches but they simply choose whether you're using the graphic or the preset 'V' EQ knob to the right of the graphic. The 'V' shape knob is a mid-cut metal type EQ and the more you turn the knob up the more mid cut there is. I pretty much use the graphic instead since I don't play metal and I'm not looking for a mid-cut.

Those are the basics so just ignore anything eles. There are a lot of other features such as solid state or tube rectification but they're on the back panel so screw 'em for right now.

Oh .... and the global master volume and the boost function only work if the FX loop is ON. Each channel also has it's own master volume so you can get them all the same loudness.

There ....... easy as pie!

Simple! Lol. Thanks Boob. I'm gonna give it another try. GC's around here carry tons of Mesas. That's where I played the Mark V last time.

Simple! Lol. Thanks Boob. I'm gonna give it another try. GC's around here carry tons of Mesas. That's where I played the Mark V last time.
cool .... well seriously .... when you go read over my explanation beforehand and I garuntee you that you'll look at the amp and go, "Oh ... yeah that's simple" Just remember .... 3 seperate amps sitting side by side in the same chassis. That's basically all it is.

cool .... well seriously .... when you go read over my explanation beforehand and I garuntee you that you'll look at the amp and go, "Oh ... yeah that's simple" Just remember .... 3 seperate amps sitting side by side in the same chassis. That's basically all it is.

Well I got interwebz on my phone, so I'll be checking back to your post when I get in front of the amp again. :D

A great rock amp for sure.

I was using a modded 2204 for a while for recording. That thing was a monster. Sounded awesome. I really liked it, but in retrospect it really only did one thing - scream. Not that that's a bad thing and I'd love to have that amp in particular, but it was all wild all the time.

I was using a modded 2204 for a while for recording. That thing was a monster. Sounded awesome. I really liked it, but in retrospect it really only did one thing - scream. Not that that's a bad thing and I'd love to have that amp in particular, but it was all wild all the time.

At one point when I started playing in a few metal bands, I almost got mine modded. I'm really glad I didn't. If I need over-the-top, I just crank the pre and stick a tubescreamer in front of it.

At one point when I started playing in a few metal bands, I almost got mine modded. I'm really glad I didn't. If I need over-the-top, I just crank the pre and stick a tubescreamer in front of it.

Yeah, that's what most people do. The Tubescreamer works awesomely with older Marshalls. It's like they were made for eachother. The Boss SD-1 kicks ass too for a boost. That's the thing with older Marshalls - you need to kick em in the front end sometimes. They're not high gain amps. And by modern standards, the JCM 800 doesn't have shit for gain. All those 80's guys that used 800's had pedals out front. Randy Rhoads used JMP's (I believe) with an MXR Distortion+ on all the time. I think a stock 800 with the pre dimed and the master pretty loud is plenty awesome enough. You gotta get the power tubes involved on those amps, and then it's tonal orgasms.

The one I used to use had an extra gain knob installed in the low sensitivity input. I'd usually dime the pre, put the master on like 7 or something, and tweak that second gain to like 9:00 just to give it a little more hair. Then I'd get out the way cuz it was gonna be loud. I never tried it, but I bet that amp would do some serious Slash tones for all the GnR wannabes out there.

Back