i need a whole new bass setup. bassists help!

treymonfauntre

Magic Bag Of Sounds
me and my friend started this 2 man drum/bass groove band. we wrote about 4 songs already and they're awesome. right now i'm using an old handmedown washburn bass that is really crappy and i'm borrowing my bassist's hartke 350w head/4x10. its alright, i'm mostly just boosting somewhere around 240hz all the way up to give it some sort of a ballsy tone. i'll probably get some sort of overdrive pedal.

point is, i need a new bass and a new head/cab. i'm looking for a really ballsy tone with lots of clarity. i'm not going for super boomy noise and i don't want fuzzy noise. i just need a tone thats going to sound full with only bass and drums and vocals. this is fast rhythmic music with lots of rock out parts so do with that what you will.

any ideas? older used stuff that isn't overhyped and expensive would be awesome. at this point anything that can compete with a drumset is an upgrade for me.

a used Gk 400RB with decent used 4x10 cab would rock, and be very light to move around, without tearing up your pocket book.
I'd chunk the Washburn and pick up a used Fender jazz too.

Check out the RockBass line from Warwick. I'm hearing really good things about em and I'm waiting to try one out. Maybe a used OLP might fit you. I've played a couple. I'd say they're worth their cost and sound pretty good. I've been looking at some of the new Ashdown combos, myself. Good Luck.

You need to try a few out, in addition to the above I'd add a G&L L2000 (including the cheaper Tribute range which are excellent), also try a 4x8 cab, that might just do it for you - lots of punch.

i think i'm going to try to get something used, i don't really want to spend more than $600 for both. the bass i'm using now actually has a lot of bite, its just really fucking heavy and the action is so low that if i play too fast it just turns into noise.
i looked at avatar first and they made me want to get a 15 and 2x10 but i'm just basing that off of me never playing a cab like that and wanting to try something new. i'm really out of my league here and having lots of fun looking at all this gear!

just measure the pickup routes on the Washburn and put some of the right-sized Basslines pickups in it. That's a legit $100 to $200 upgrade rather than buying another hunk of junk for $160. Washburn cheap range basses are fine if you set the truss rod relief, the bridge, the intonation and gut it of its stock electronics.

heres a little something...

in my summer 2005 american music supply catalog it has a hartke speaker cab with 1 15" and 2 8" speakers for $200. on that steel sound site it has a duel cab "Legion Sound" brand with 1 15" in one and 2 10"s in another for $200 as well. i'd really like something like this. i could then spend about $200 on a used head and another 2 or 300 on a bass. all this has to do is accompany a drumset for punk house shows and such.

Steer clear of those SX basses. There are *some* great deals and good values in the world, but from all I've heard the SX basses are NOT among them. Its pretty easy to make a nice looking instrument- the rest of the stuff that really counts is a bit tougher to achieve.

-C

jdavidb said:
just measure the pickup routes on the Washburn and put some of the right-sized Basslines pickups in it. That's a legit $100 to $200 upgrade rather than buying another hunk of junk for $160. Washburn cheap range basses are fine if you set the truss rod relief, the bridge, the intonation and gut it of its stock electronics.

i just told the person who gave it to me i was thinking of fixing it up and he said "why don't you just use that other bass so its yours and not mine" and then went on to say he never actually gave it to me. so looks like i'm putting it back in the condition it was when i got it (cutting all the cables at the solder point) and getting a new bass.
the other bass i have is a lotus. it weighs about 200 pounds.

im gonna go buy one of those nice black and black pearl pickguard olps soon at guitar center. its 230, but just ask one of the guys how low they can make it, and theyll cut you a deal, so im thinking of spending like 200 with tax. i played it and it sounds awesome. i used to have one of those washburn basses too, haha the head stock broke clean off.

damn those ex metal bands.

anybody have advice on this legion sound company? they appear to be owned by behringer so who knows how good they are.. but damn, a 15" and 2 10"s shipped for $250 aint too shabby.

What is it that you don't like about the Hartke head?

I've been using the Harke 5000 for years now, along with an old pevey 4x10 cab......I love that set up! Of course I'm runing a bass EQ, Sans amp / Tech 21 Bass DI, and a compressor.

Also using a Fender Jazz - Geddy Lee sig. model. :)

Me likes! :D

Rick

treymonfauntre said:
anybody have advice on this legion sound company? they appear to be owned by behringer so who knows how good they are.. but damn, a 15" and 2 10"s shipped for $250 aint too shabby.
Well I've had my SSB-212L from Steel Sound for a little over a month now and like it alot. I use it as a stand alone cab with a 300 watt Tube Works head usually and can get plenty loud. It's not a boutique cab by any means but is definitely good for the money. You want to stay away from the Legion stuff and get the SSB models. Legion cabs are made of particle board which makes them heavy and won't be as durable. You might want to figure out what head you're going to use 1rst btw. If you didn't know already, you need to know what the ohms rating is on your amp so you can choose the best cab combination.
At this point you may not even need 2 cabs. It really depends on how big of a room you're playing. A 4x10 or 2x12 will work in many situations and should be fine to jam/practice with.
Btw. I've come close to getting that SX in your link but I hear they weigh a ton!!! Sure look cool though. Word is SX/Brice stuff is good for the money but almost always needs a bit of tweaking.

1- used bass guitar $200 (schecter/fender squire)
1- sans amp bass driver- $200
1- Hartke kickback amp 1x15 combo - $400

Not much over your $600 budget. If you have a PA to play through minus the amp and your right under your budget with a pro sound through the PA.

Back