I need to vent!

SSgtP

First off, I'm a U.S Serviceman stationed in Germany. In November of 2000, I ordered a J-station through MF. Two months later, it up and died on me. I mean no sound no lights nothing! I got in touch with the people at Johnson Aplification, and the told me to ship it back to them and they would fix it. I did, and they sent it back fixed, good as new. Well, here I am nine months later, guess what!...it died again! I emailed the people at Johnson again, and they told me to take the cable/power transformer to a local electronics shop to see if it was bad. If it was, they would send me a new one. Problem is, there are no electronic shops around here that have a clue what I'm talking about. Next thing, Johnson gave me the number of some German distributor that can send me a new one. Everything in Germany runs on 220 current, as opposed to 110 like in the states. This place will not have what I need, If that IS the problem to begin with. Last time it broke, the repairman from Johnson said that something inside the unit itself was fried. Has anyone else had problems with their J-Station??

P

a) A german distributor of J-Stations will probably carry 220V power supplies. It would be silly for them to carry 115 in germany!!

b) Any electronics shop can troubleshoot a power supply. Assuming that the J-Station has an external wart style power supply, it'll mean cracking the case on it and looking inside. Often times the fuse mechanism will be blown and it can be replaced (not a traditional style fuse)...but you usually can't put a wart back together without a lot of tape. Anyways, just bring cable/supply in and ask them to test it out. This is VERY common.

c) If you look on the supply itself you'll find its ratings. A lot of supplies will be rated for both 115 and 220.

d) I wonder if maybe you've got some real dirty power around there. Do you have problems with any other electronic equpiment acting funny?

I don't have any experience with the J-Station, but I do have experience with power supplies dying. It happens.

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2k,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah we do have some real funcky electrical power over here. Ya see, I live on an American military instalation, and they use a giant transformer to convert the german 220 to american 110. So, our household appliances will work. I need a 110 power supply not a 220. The problem is the cycle rate is different, so we do have a lot of problems with things not working correctly. Do think that this might be the reason that my J-station keeps dying? Should I worry about my Tascam 788 Also?

Thanks
P

Oh wow, so you're using 110 at 50hz? I looked at a couple power packs I've got laying around, and some are rated for both 50/60Hz, and some only for 60hz. You might look at the specs for all of your equipment.

I'm no electrician. Maybe somebody else here can help? I would be concerned, at least initially, with the safety of your equipment. If I were you, I'd try to make friends with some of the electricians on base there and hit them up with your questions. Maybe a power conditioner or something will be required to protect your equipment.

But then it could still just be the J-Station, who knows. I don't hear much about them breaking around here though.

Good luck to you!

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2k

Thanks for the advice, and your right I am concerned. I'll talk to some people.

P

Back