Thread: I Need Sitar Knowledge

Thanks

I Need Sitar Knowledge

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have an opportunity to purchase a sitar. My brother-in-law bought one when he was in India a couple of years ago, however, he is now moving to a smaller home and has to downsize. He will let me have the sitar at no cost - as long as I pay the shipping.

I have no idea if the instrument is decent (my in-law can't find a manufacture name, etc.) and he did not buy a case, so it was shipped from India to the US without a case and would now be shipped from L.A. to Wisconsin without a case - and I do know sitar can be fragile.

I'm guessing he did not buy it from an "instrument store" - more likely from some kind of tourist trap (although he does tend to travel the lesser known routes - and he claims it was not purchased at a trinket store). I figure it's at least worth the cost of shipping - just to mess around with - and if I actually can start to learn and enjoy the instrument I can always try to upgrade in the future.

I've gone on-line and read what I could to try to understand a good instrument from a poor one and the related maintenance, etc. (hell, even learning what kind of strings and where to get them was a learning experiance) - however, I'm hoping some people here at Home Recording may have some additional insight.

I appreciate any knowleged you can offer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xdrummer View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase a sitar. My brother-in-law bought one when he was in India a couple of years ago, however, he is now moving to a smaller home and has to downsize. He will let me have the sitar at no cost - as long as I pay the shipping.

I have no idea if the instrument is decent (my in-law can't find a manufacture name, etc.) and he did not buy a case, so it was shipped from India to the US without a case and would now be shipped from L.A. to Wisconsin without a case - and I do know sitar can be fragile.

I'm guessing he did not buy it from an "instrument store" - more likely from some kind of tourist trap (although he does tend to travel the lesser known routes - and he claims it was not purchased at a trinket store). I figure it's at least worth the cost of shipping - just to mess around with - and if I actually can start to learn and enjoy the instrument I can always try to upgrade in the future.

I've gone on-line and read what I could to try to understand a good instrument from a poor one and the related maintenance, etc. (hell, even learning what kind of strings and where to get them was a learning experiance) - however, I'm hoping some people here at Home Recording may have some additional insight.

well ...... I used to have one but I don't know how to tell if one's good or not. I think they're all made by small mom and pop type places ...... how do ya' know who's a good builder or not I can't say.
    But for shipping costs it's got to be worth it.
    If you know the secret codes you can get by the mastering boss on level 8.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xdrummer View Post

Anything specific you were wondering?
    History has a way of deleting anachronisms. -PKD

Thanks
    Put out the call to CrowsofFritz. He knows a thing or two about sitars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    But for shipping costs it's got to be worth it.
    Bottom line for me, this. I also used to have one and I wouldn't know a good one from a lame one. But then, I'm like that with pretty much every instrument !

Thanks
    Last edited by fat_fleet; 01-19-2013 at 19:11.
    History has a way of deleting anachronisms. -PKD

Thanks
    Shipping an uncased instrument could be EXHORBITANT and possibly fruitless if it's not extremely well protected.

Thanks
    Thank you to those who replied. I did find a web site for a distributor of Indian instruments, Buckingham Music, which does provide a lot of good information.

I talked to my in-law to get a better understanding of the Sitar he has - and he claims he purchased it in 1969 in Bombay, from an actual "music store" - so it sounds like it is an actual instrument vs. a tourist trinket. He cliams it's a 2 rated instrument (which based on Sitar rating is just below a professional model (kind of like a "student model").

The shipping will be somewhere between $60 and $100 - and he plans to get a heavy duty crate and make sure the Sitar is carefully packed. He plans to remove the tuning pegs (which may be a challenge to figure out how to re-string about 20 strings - but I would have to learn at some point anyway).

I'm willing to take a chance for $60 - $100 (plus another $35 or so for new strings). I've spent money of much dumber things (the mucho thousands on blow, smoke & booze in the 70s and 80s comes to mind).

Well at least I know what I'll be spending most of my time doing in 2013 (trying to tune a Sitar).

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    A group that I traveled with and ran sound for had a few sitar songs - The hardshell case for it was very expensive.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thread Information