I need a new amp.

Don't worry about being a tone snob. A real tone snob would pay more for a set of NOS tubes as you wanted to pay for your amp!

Well, we still haven't hit on what type of music, and what sound you're really going for. And if you want something that will cover a wide variety of different genres, which is OK, that's yet a different thing.

What's confusing me is that you're saying you're not in a band, and that by the time you are you'll be getting something else anyway, yet at the same time you want to be playing gigs and around/or around (whatever that means).

I can only see three scenarios:

1) you're playing at home, by yourself, for your own enjoyment and recording yourself, also for your own enjoyment

2) you're playing with others in a band setting, whether out or not, or

3) you're gigging doing the one man band thing, which doesn't sound to me like what you're trying to do.

I suppose you could be saying that you want something big enough to jam with friends with, but not necessarily at gigging volume.

So, let's start with the type of music/sound(s). I already have my idea(s) for you, but I might be way off base until I hear the answer. Surely somebody here can identify with style you like and point you in the right direction. Everybody's just here to help.

Also, there's going to be more than one way to get where you want to go.

This thread is starting to reek of internet jabber.

How hard is it to find an amp you like in this information age? Talk to some friends, look at some YouTube videos, look in the Sweetwater catalog. Hell, almost any major city has a guitar center where uou can test drive one.

That being said I’ll play along for a little while ;)

Blues junior. That’s my recommendation.
Jam, record, gig, etc. lots of people both pro and not so pro use them.

Loud enough to be heard with a drummer, takes pedals well and has that fender chime, as well as that break up when pushed. No reason to get rid of it when you ‘start gigging’

Direct out..... a useless requirement in my opinion . You’re gonna have to use all kind of digital stuff to approximate the cab in a room. If you can make noise, sticking a mic or two in front is gonna sound better.

My opinions on modeling amps..... they sound like shit. A kemper is good but pricey.

The other guitar player in my project brought a Boss Katana amp to rehearsal last weekend. It’s highly acclaimed. But in real life???? It was loud enough, and did it all. But badly. Sounded very artificial and digital.

Anyway, I’m bored with this thread. Go try shit out and buy something. No sense in talking about it for the next six months :)

Good luck and I hope you find what you’re looking for. : thumbs up:

Ps. Remember this. One amp that does it all is like a unicorn...... they may exist, but good luck finding one. :)

Edit:? I will add this..... I have a Blug Amp One that I’m quite impressed with. Its an 100 watt analog (no modeling) amp with one of these small ‘nano tubes in it. Its the size of a large pedal and goes from fender to Marshall to Boogie/Soldano sounds. It fits in my gig bag and has a headphone output, recording output and can run a 4x12 cabinet. I still prefer my tube amps, but you can’t beat it for versatility, convenience, and portability. And it sounds like a real amp (s)
There’s lots of videos out on it.

Ok, peace out!

Last edited:
This thread is starting to reek of internet jabber.

How hard is it to find an amp you like in this information age? Talk to some friends, look at some YouTube videos, look in the Sweetwater catalog. Hell, almost any major city has a guitar center where uou can test drive one.

That being said I’ll play along for a little while ;)

Blues junior. That’s my recommendation.
Jam, record, gig, etc. lots of people both pro and not so pro use them.

Loud enough to be heard with a drummer, takes pedals well and has that fender chime, as well as that break up when pushed. No reason to get rid of it when you ‘start gigging’

Direct out..... a useless requirement in my opinion . You’re gonna have to use all kind of digital stuff to approximate the cab in a room. If you can make noise, sticking a mic or two in front is gonna sound better.

My opinions on modeling amps..... they sound like shit. A kemper is good but pricey.

The other guitar player in my project brought a Boss Katana amp to rehearsal last weekend. It’s highly acclaimed. But in real life???? It was loud enough, and did it all. But badly. Sounded very artificial and digital.

Anyway, I’m bored with this thread. Go try shit out and buy something. No sense in talking about it for the next six months :)

Good luck and I hope you find what you’re looking for. : thumbs up:

Ps. Remember this. One amp that does it all is like a unicorn...... they may exist, but good luck finding one. :)

Edit:? I will add this..... I have a Blug Amp One that I’m quite impressed with. Its an 100 watt analog (no modeling) amp with one of these small ‘nano tubes in it. Its the size of a large pedal and goes from fender to Marshall to Boogie/Soldano sounds. It fits in my gig bag and has a headphone output, recording output and can run a 4x12 cabinet. I still prefer my tube amps, but you can’t beat it for versatility, convenience, and portability. And it sounds like a real amp (s)
There’s lots of videos out on it.

Ok, peace out!
Thank you, that is the specific reason that I tried to end this thread around a week ago! :facepalm::)

I understand that this is what I have to do! I have doing much more research, and I should have done much more research before posting this, it was lazy of me to immediately go to a forum and suspect an direct answer, and I understand that. I appreciate your help, peace out.

OK, then I'll end my advice with this.

I was also going to suggest a Blues Jr, for the reasons described, and it's a great pedal platform. And you said you liked the Fender sound.

The other recommendation was for a Tech 21 Power engine, which is a solid state basically power amp meant to run modelers into, also with a direct out, since you said you like the sound of your Boss.

Enjoy your search.

OK, one more thing... :D

I want to thank the OP for starting me thinking about this again, but in a new way.

Sometimes trying to give someone else advice helps you to sort of talk the issue out with yourself.

I've come to the realization that what I want to do is to get two Wampler Black '65s (Fender Deluxe emulator) and eventually a couple of Power Engines (or something similar).

I need two for the output from my stereo UniVibe. I would only need the Power Engine(s) if I ever played out again (highly unlikely), and even then I could probably just go through the board if the PA is big enough. And really, I could just run them into one of my little boards, into my Crown stereo power amp, and then into a couple of little cabs.

Totally rethinking what I need now, and what I can sell to get there.

I'd sell you MY Blues Jr, but it's got a nasty hum that needs fixed.

Thanks!

I love the sound of a tube amp but I hate the sound of a bad tube amp. I like versatility. Many amps which leads me to recommend something like the Fractal AXE-FX line. You can use a tube power amp if you wish but I doubt you can tell the difference. Why settle for 1 tone?

If you watch eBay, you can get a Viet Nam Marshall DSL100H Head for a decent price. It has 4 distinct "tone" settings dialed in.

Back