I need to get some head! Uhh I mean I need to get a head. For a Fender 4x12" cab.

pisces7378

I need to get some head! Uhh I mean I need to get a head. For a Fender 4x12" cab.

Hey...

I have rescently been posting a lot about me getting a Marshall TSL122 100Watt combo amp. Well I am pretty much satisfied that this is the amp for me. But now my rhythm guitarist needs a good amp as well. We had our gear raided and a lot stollen about three years ago and he had his sweet Fender head stolen off of his 4x12" cabinett stolen. So we still have the cab but he has been using an old cheap little practice amp just for song writting in the mean time.

Now we are ready to get it all back together and he would like to have a really sweet head to go with his 4x12" Fender cab. I went to the Fender website to look for just a head, and it seems as though, according to their website, Fender only sells combo amps. I could not for the life of me find just a head. Even on all the online music stores. Only combos.

I do not remember what kind of Fender head he had in the first place. I just remember that it had that grey carpet/felt type outside.

He is a REAL vintage/Southern/Rollings Stones/tube/sweet guitars type player. So he would hate a Peavey 5150 or some other piercing super modern amp. Does anyone have a link to a Fender head that has tubes or sound vintage? Maybe some other comapany. He is not addicted to Fender. I am sure that he is pretty cool with anything that sounds sweet. He isn't at all concerned with having a matching head to his cab. If a Marshall head will give him this sound then he woud be up for that. Ir even a cheaper less "cosmopolitan" brand. Just NO PEAVEY!!!

Any tips or help would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

It would be a huge help if you could tell us the price range you're looking at.

For "less expensive," (relative, of course) I would check out Reverend: http://www.reverenddirect.com/reverend/amps_etc/hellhound_40_60.html

For more expensive, there are a whole bunch of options. The only decent new Fender I can think of (in head format) was the Prosonic, which I think is a custom shop model. I am not sure if they still make them, and if they do they are pricy.

Tell us how much you want to spend and we'll throw options out.

Back