I finally got a new bass guitar

Illsidgus

Desiccated Member
It has been 47 years since I have had a bass guitar to play. It was a Black Jack violin bass and my brother had the matching 12 string guitar. The year was 1968 and was the only time my brother and I were in a band together.

Well, this evening I order a new bass from Sweetwater. I know that some of you will scoff but that is okay, I ordered the Hofner Ignition bass (Chinese made). I got a hold of Sweetwater and ask them if they could throw in a set of La Bella flat wounds strings without charging me for them. Not only did they throw in the La Bellas but they lowered the price of the guitar and hard shell case. It is supposed to arrive on Tuesday and I can't wait.

Congrats!!!

The big brown truck pulls up in front of your house can only mean one thing. Toys!!!

Well, Sweetwater uses Fedex, but you know what I mean.

Congrats!!!

The big brown truck pulls up in front of your house can only mean one thing. Toys!!!

Well, Sweetwater uses Fedex, but you know what I mean.

Yep, I can't wait, although I am a little nervous about a delivery truck pulling up at my house. The last time an UPS truck came to my house was 22 December 2016. The driver got out, came to my door, then ran back to his truck with my package. I went outside to see what was going on and his truck was on fire. It made for and interesting afternoon.

Post pics. I'd like to see it!

Here are some pictures of the actual instrument that they have shipped to me. Sweetwater sent me an email today with these photos of my bass. They sent me the serial # of the bass with the invoice and the serial # matches that of the head stock photos the sent me. When I get the bass I will take some photos of my own and post them.
Hofner Bass.jpgHofner 1.jpg

That's a nice looking instrument. I had a '65 Hofner nearly identical to yours pictured here. It had round wounds when I bought it and I stuck with them - for my Hofner and Precision. Flats for the Jazz and SG.

I'd like to hear what you think of the sound when you fire it up. Mine always had that "just right" acoustic sound.

That's a nice looking instrument. I had a '65 Hofner nearly identical to yours pictured here. It had round wounds when I bought it and I stuck with them - for my Hofner and Precision. Flats for the Jazz and SG.

I'd like to hear what you think of the sound when you fire it up. Mine always had that "just right" acoustic sound.

It is Monday today and it is supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow. According to Fedex tracking, it is now in Nashville.

I've been wanting to get the Epi. When I've played both at stores, I always liked the feel of the Epi better. But then again, I always seem to like what everyone else doesn't and not like what the majority does. I think it's my hands. Never played either plugged in, though.

That pic is damn pretty.

I've been wanting to get the Epi. When I've played both at stores, I always liked the feel of the Epi better. But then again, I always seem to like what everyone else doesn't and not like what the majority does. I think it's my hands. Never played either plugged in, though.

That pic is damn pretty.

I like the Epiphone Viola, it felt good when I played one in our local Musicians Pro store. But I like the fact that on the Hofner I can switch between the neck and bridge pups with switches rather than having to turn the volume all the way down like you do on the Epi. I believe that the Epi is a little bit heavier than the Hofner, also the scale length on the Epi is a 1/2 inch longer than on the Hofner. With my short arms, even a 1/2 less makes it easier to play the Hofner.

My Hofner arrived at my house this morning around 10:00, then I had to leave ten minutes later for a dental appointment. I have to say it looks as good in person as it did in the Sweetwater photos and sounds great. I also ordered the hard shell case which they failed to ship. I got a hold of them and they said that they had to get some more cases in and that my case would be shipped around the 20th of February.

I have to say that it has those warm and woody tones that I expected it to have. I haven't turned it up loud enough to experience that Hofner thump yet.
Do you like you SG bass? I would love to have a 1960s era Gibson EB3.

I have to say that it has those warm and woody tones that I expected it to have. I haven't turned it up loud enough to experience that Hofner thump yet.
Do you like you SG bass? I would love to have a 1960s era Gibson EB3.

I had a used 60s SG from 1976-1978 which I used for early band practices. When we moved into studio recordings I was loaned a 60s Jazz bass which sounded terrific and had a great neck. Then in 1980, I bought a used Hofner bass with hardcase for 175.00 which I only used for live performances. In 1986 I stored the Hofner and bought a new Precision and active Jazz for live gigs and studio.

My favorite features of the Hofner are: narrow, rounded neck; short scale; that "woody" sound; light as a feather. Not to mention it's just beautiful to look at.

I always used a Boss Compression Sustainer pedal with my Hofner. It gave it more of that great sound.

Here's Paul McCartney's 2009 concert with his Hofner - beautiful sound!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lCzqtnOmINo

My favorite features of the Hofner are: narrow, rounded neck; short scale; that "woody" sound; light as a feather. Not to mention it's just beautiful to look at.

I always used a Boss Compression Sustainer pedal with my Hofner. It gave it more of that great sound.

The short scale is important to me as I have been a guitar player since 1965. I understand that the Hofner has a narrower neck than most other basses but to me the space between the strings is huge. I lean more toward acoustic music so the sound of the Hofner is ideal for me. I can't wait to start recording with it.

I have been considering buying a compression pedal for the bass.

Back