I am a sucky guitarist because:

What makes you such a blowy guitarist?

• I don't know enough theory

Votes: 37 33.3%
  • My picking hand feels like a brick

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • My fretting hand is glacially slow

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • I blame my equipment (piece of shit guitar, amp says "Crate" on it, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I sound like crap unless I use a boatload of effects

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Er...because I'm a drummer?

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • I'm refuse to play anything but "Smoke On The Water" on my Fender So-Cal

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • My name is acidrock

Votes: 11 9.9%

• Total voters
I could almost guarantee that you suffer with depression...I was a pro guitarist for over 45 years, did recording, TV. radio and session work,however, I had bi-polar disorder and some days I couldn't even tune my ax. Don't get concerned about it, I know its a bummer but just "Enjoy" playing when all is well.
Remember above all that it is not a competition

Itsonlyme.

Haha awesome thread.

I'd say both a combination of "slow fretting hand" and "I'm a drummer" excuses for me!

/haves another drink

I feel like I sound pretty tasteful when I play slow.. the problem is shredding and stuff like that. I know, you don't HAVE to do that but I think these days it's like a high pressure for guitarists cause there're so many ultramega-technique-guys out there.
So in a way, fast-playing is kind of a basic thing that's almost expected when people look for new guitarists :(

I feel like I sound pretty tasteful when I play slow.. the problem is shredding and stuff like that. I know, you don't HAVE to do that but I think these days it's like a high pressure for guitarists cause there're so many ultramega-technique-guys out there.
So in a way, fast-playing is kind of a basic thing that's almost expected when people look for new guitarists :(

It's a shame, because that kind of playing has no musical value.

I can't play half the things I'd like to because of my playing style.

I'm a lefty, and when I was bought my first guitar, aged around 8/9, nobody around me was astute enough, or gave a shit enough, to tell me to turn the strings to suit a proper lefty, so I've been playing with the strings upside down for a VERY long time.

Sure, I can do some things that 'normal' players find impossible, but a lot of 'standard' stuff is a closed book.

My guitar playing sucks because...

1. I haven't found that magic guitar yet. I just have to keep searching, cause I know becoming a guitar goddess is just a guitar away.

2. I've not been able to buy any new axes for quite some time now to continure my quest to improve(see excuse #1).

3. I don't own an amplifier with enough power. If I could crank it up more, then my playing would improve!

4. It's the dang dog's fault, he keeps eating my special picks!

5. I have crappy guitar chords..I mean cords!

6. I don't have short pants and knee high socks!

7. No matter how many effect pedals I plug into, I still sound crappy..must be a defect in the pedals!

8. I practice 10 mins one day out of the month so I don't understand why I've not improved.

9. I just can't find strings that sound good on my guitar.

10. The color is all wrong and it throws off my playing karma!

11. That darn cat keeps lying atop my amp when I play. I KNOW he's fiddling with the knobs!!

12. My fingers don't move fast enough and everytime I try to play with my teeth my dentures come out!!:eek::D

The excuse list, what a wonderful rabbit to pull outta the guitar case at the flick of a pick..that is when the dog hasn't eaten it!

But, my serious answer:

13. Lack of persistance when frustrated and diligence to continue when bored with repetitious actions? :spank:

Is this my final answer? yes sir!

..bingo! I think I've hit the flat top on the bridge!:guitar:

I don't agree to the poll!!! I'm not bad! But I'm not also the best! I need to practice and grow every year!!!

Back