Humidity (IMPORTANT; MUST READ)

Light

I should have done this a month ago, but here we go.

It is time once again. We had our first snow fall yesterday, and for the last few weeks we have been heating the house. All of this means it is time to start humidifying your guitars.

Guitars are very sensitive to humidity, particularly solid wood acoustic guitars. Around this time of year, you will start seeing your guitars change. The action will get lower and they will start to buzz. You might start getting a little sawing action from the ends of your frets sticking out. You may notice that the top of your guitars is looking a lot like a salad bowl. You may even, if you don't do something about it, start to see some cracks in the body of your guitar.

Now, all of these things can be taken care of, but preventative maintenance is cheap, so why not do it.

The first, and by far most important, thing you can do for your guitars is to do SOMETHING to humidify them. At all cost, do not ignore the problem. It is a serious issue, so do SOMETHING.

Step one in doing it right is to always keep the guitar in the case when you are not playing. I know this is kind of a hassle if you like to keep them on stands, but it is extremely difficult during heating season to keep your house humid enough for your guitars. The case offers a much smaller volume of air to concern yourself with. Keep the guitars in the case.

Step two is to use some kind of a guitar humidifier. Damp-it's suck for anything which does not have f-holes because the sponge is too small. I hate the Planet Waves humidifier with a passion, as it is such a hard plastic that it can (and does) damage the guitar and it is very difficult to fill. The one I recommend is the KYSER LIFEGUARD. The sponge is large enough to last a few days, it is a soft plastic that is not going to damage anything, it is easy to fill, and I really like the fact that is helps to lock the humidity into the sound hole where it is needed most.

Of course, the very nature of the Lifeguard means that, while it is great for the box of the guitar, it does not do much for the fingerboard or the rest of the neck. For this, you need a additional humidifier. You could buy another Lifeguard and just keep it in the case, but what I like is a soap dish humidifier. You make these yourself, and they are simple and cheap. You take a plastic travel soap dish, the kind with a cover, and you drill some holes in the top. Next, you cut a sponge to fit into the soap dish. Put the top on, and you are done. Put it in the case, usually up by the head stock. There are some good variations on this, of course. You could make it out of Tupperware. I have a customer who wraps his up in an old t-shirt to pad it a bit. Another guy uses Velcro to stick the soap dish to the case so it can't rattle around in there, which strikes me as a very good idea.

Whatever you do, make sure you take care of your guitars. Unless you live in a swamp, or you start pouring buckets of water into your guitar, you can NOT over-humidify. If you have a heater running in your house, do not worry about too much humidity. It can not happen. Just make sure you do SOMETHING, or you will be one of the many guys who come into a shop like mine, putting your guitar up on a counter, and saying, "I need you to take a look at my guitar."

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
Of course, the very nature of the Lifeguard means that, while it is great for the box of the guitar, it does not do much for the fingerboard or the rest of the neck. For this, you need a additional humidifier. You could buy another Lifeguard and just keep it in the case, but what I like is a soap dish humidifier. You make these yourself, and they are simple and cheap. You take a plastic travel soap dish, the kind with a cover, and you drill some holes in the top. Next, you cut a sponge to fit into the soap dish. Put the top on, and you are done. Put it in the case, usually up by the head stock. There are some good variations on this, of course. You could make it out of Tupperware. I have a customer who wraps his up in an old t-shirt to pad it a bit. Another guy uses Velcro to stick the soap dish to the case so it can't rattle around in there, which strikes me as a very good idea.

That would make a great addition to the DIY Thread!

Just want to make sure everyone sees this.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

And now for the 'how to make a free philboyd studge humidifier' section of this thread.

Just take that plastic pouch your strings came in and add a piece of kitchen sponge, then hang it by a string in the soundhole. Works as well as a Dampit.

Light said:
Unless you live in a swamp, or you start pouring buckets of water into your guitar, you can NOT over-humidify.

Any advice for those living in the swamp? I live near the ocean in South Florida where the relative humidity is fairly high year round. And even with a standard dose of AC, the humidity can average around 65-70 percent. When I bought my Taylor, the guitar came with a boatload of information on the consequences of "wet" and "dry" guitars. They indicated that their factory was stabilized at something like 48 percent RH and that individual Taylor owners should aim for that standard. Is this a case of overzealousness on the part of Taylor?

Thanks for your annual reminder Light. I live in southern New Mexico where the humidity is around 20% summer and winter. We have a couple of swamp coolers that keep the humidity up in the summer but I'm not sure what it is in the winter. I'll have to get a device to measure the RF in the room and see if I need to add moisture to it. On your suggestion, I case all my guitars beginning in November (I have them on wall hangers from May-Oct).

thanks again for the reminder.

rpe

dwillis45 said:
Any advice for those living in the swamp? I live near the ocean in South Florida where the relative humidity is fairly high year round.
Relative humidity is the sweat that forms on your balls when you're fuckin'
yer cousin.
Light,It really bothers me that you are always qualifying yourself as a
guitar guru yet you wont say the name of your shop.I dont really have
any doubts that you know yer shit but yer reluctance to say who you
work for pisses me off.
If you are concerned that it may come across as spam,then why ment-
ion that you work for a shop(or own one)at all?If you think it would aff-
ect the shop you own or work for in a negative way,then just leave the
fact that you are a pro out of the equation altogether and let your knowledge qualify you.
Alot of yer post come across as very condescending.(Holy shit,I forgot
to come down from my throne and let the peons know t'was the season
to humidify instruments)Give me a fucking break man!people that own
quality instruments know how to take care of them and if they dont we
can send them to the"Is it better to leave my guitar on a stand,or in the case" thread.

There are a lot of people who are new to music and maintenance on this thread. It doesn't hurt to offer very low level advice every once in a while.

Not everyone knows how or when to humidify or do many other tasks that may seem obvious or mundane to you. I appreciate that light's offering the advice. Even if no one listens, he's still trying to do good.

dwillis45 said:
Any advice for those living in the swamp? I live near the ocean in South Florida where the relative humidity is fairly high year round. And even with a standard dose of AC, the humidity can average around 65-70 percent. When I bought my Taylor, the guitar came with a boatload of information on the consequences of "wet" and "dry" guitars. They indicated that their factory was stabilized at something like 48 percent RH and that individual Taylor owners should aim for that standard. Is this a case of overzealousness on the part of Taylor?

I'm afraid it is not something I really know much about. Remember, where I live it is NEVER an issue. You might want to use some kind of a desicant, but don't overdo it. The best thing to do is find a reputable repair shop in your area and ask them what is "regionally" required. It has become more and more apparent to me that where we live has a lot to do with what our guitars need.

For instance, we do several hundred crack repairs a year, almost all of them based on lack of humidity. I have a good friend who does repair work in the San Fransisco area who has been doing this stuff for just as long as we have (about 30 years), and he has done a grand total of ONE humidity related crack repair. He is one of the best repair guys in the country, but he doesn't know much about humidity problems. He doesn't have to.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Last edited:
Light...THANK YOU! One question though...We live in NW NJ and keep the house on the definite cool side, about 67 degrees year round. Will this affect the need for humidification? I haven't noticed any problem with my Martin over the last few years. I generally have to tweak the truss rods on my electrics ever so slightly. I keep my guitars in their cases when not in use...

SteveK said:
Light...THANK YOU! One question though...We live in NW NJ and keep the house on the definite cool side, about 67 degrees year round. Will this affect the need for humidification? I haven't noticed any problem with my Martin over the last few years. I generally have to tweak the truss rods on my electrics ever so slightly. I keep my guitars in their cases when not in use...

Relative humidity is what it is about. But if you keep them in the cases, use some humidifiers in the cases and you will be fine. Once again, unless you live in a swamp you CAN NOT over-humidify a guitar without pouring water into it.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

philboyd studge said:
And now for the 'how to make a free philboyd studge humidifier' section of this thread.

Just take that plastic pouch your strings came in and add a piece of kitchen sponge, then hang it by a string in the soundhole. Works as well as a Dampit.

Or better yet, just put it up by the peg head.

I do like the soap dishes more, though, as they are better at protecting the case and the guitar if they sponge is over full.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Before you run out and start cramming sponges in your soundholes, get a hygrometer and find out what the relative humidity is in your space. Home Depot/Radio Shack should have them. Be sure to calibrate them first (google on hygrometer calibration) since they might be a bit off.

Here's a good reference for this stuff - http://santacruzguitar.com/care/index.html

My studio/office/spare bedroom is usually at 20%RH because we run central heat and air most of the time (Philly suburb) so I keep Planet Waves Humidifiers in all my soundholes. I also keep the guitars in their cases at all times. No cracks or other dryness problems here!

Light said:
Or better yet, just put it up by the peg head.

I do like the soap dishes more, though, as they are better at protecting the case and the guitar if they sponge is over full.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Either way, the hardest part is remembering to keep humidifiers moist. The soap dish idea is pretty good, I could use bigger sponges. More often than not I put the humidifers up by the peghead simply because it's easier.

gordone said:
Before you run out and start cramming sponges in your soundholes, get a hygrometer and find out what the relative humidity is in your space. Home Depot/Radio Shack should have them. Be sure to calibrate them first (google on hygrometer calibration) since they might be a bit off.

Here's a good reference for this stuff - http://santacruzguitar.com/care/index.html

My studio/office/spare bedroom is usually at 20%RH because we run central heat and air most of the time (Philly suburb) so I keep Planet Waves Humidifiers in all my soundholes. I also keep the guitars in their cases at all times. No cracks or other dryness problems here!

Around here you can't over humidify. The only times it gets over 47% is when its raining, and an average will be like today at about 20%.

Back