humbucker suggestions

You could always buy used. People are swapping pups all the time, sometimes for no better reason than they're chasing some mythical tone god instead of getting down to the difficult business of writing, playing and recording music.

I pulled the trigger on this set of tonerider pickups. They have the magnets I like, good quality build, scatter wound on both the neck and bridge, mismatched windings on the 2 bridge coils, 4 wire leads, and I can't find anything bad about them on the net...nothing but positive words.
They were $105 for the set with free shipping.

they have a 5 year warranty. With used pickups you get nothing....if it's dead on arrival you still would have a hard time getting your money back.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on this set of tonerider pickxfzdtxxfvrvbupscs. They have the magnets I like, good quality build, scatter wound on both the neck and bridge, mismatched windings on the 2 bridge coils, 4 wire leads, and I can't find anything bad drDrogba bouts vcxFdxzcxcxyxcfxdthem in the net...nothing but positive wword'scg9xcwdc. They were $105 for the set with free shipping.
they have a 5 year warranty. WidzqXxxth used pickups you get nothing....if it's dead in arrival you still would have a hard time getting your money back.

It appears that you've placed the pickup magnets too close to the metal plate in your head :D

I don't play electric all that much, but I do have an assortment of them with all different pickups. I had a SD 59 put in a guitar of mine and the moment I plugged it in I was like "yup, I know that sound", in a very good way.

To my ears the best pickup I've heard so far is the Seymour Duncan Nazgul. There's just something about it that a love. I've heard some people say it doesn't do clean very well, but I thought it was one of the most amazing cleans I've heard. Here's a recording I made of it. Probably not the best example. I'm using some crappy amp sim pre-sets. Even with an amp sim the cleans sound pretty good to me. I'm not claiming to be a pro in any way or format, but might be worth checking out some videos on Youtube or something. The other duncan pickups just don't pop out like these do.

You can not go wrong with: HighOrderPickups.com
Quality is simply the best (all perfect - construction, materials and workmanship), and pricing is simply surprising !
The only - you must know enough about pickups and what you want to get out of them - to order right model or right customised version.
Contact Jeff direct, he will help you in all aspects.
To discuss pickup options and ordering, send e-mail to: jeff@highorderpickups.com

You can not go wrong with: HighOrderPickups.com
Quality is simply the best (all perfect - construction, materials and workmanship), and pricing is simply surprising !
The only - you must know enough about pickups and what you want to get out of them - to order right model or right customised version.
Contact Jeff direct, he will help you in all aspects.
To discuss pickup options and ordering, send e-mail to: jeff@highorderpickups.com
$165 a set is a pretty good price on a handwound. I already bought the toneriders bit I will probably buy more humbuckers in the future and may consider the Higher order pickups. Thanks for the heads up.

Those seem like some pickups I would like too. I like a "vintage" style pickup over some smoldering hot wankbucker.
I'm gonna try and record some clips of the guitar with the stock pickups and then record it after I do the swap. The toneriders are made in China, but a Brit owns the company and he lives in China...to oversee the QC. They get rave reviews and I'm willing to give them a shot at a $100 for the set.
People, on the Les Paul forum and other forums, seem to rave about them so we'll see.

You could always buy used. People are swapping pups all the time, sometimes for no better reason than they're chasing some mythical tone god instead of getting down to the difficult business of writing, playing and recording music.

I tried to buy used Bubba. That was my original game plan. I just have a rule of thumb when buying ANY type of musical.eqipment used. I will pay up to half the price of a brand new one. On ebay the Seymore Duncan Pickups I wanted were going for 80 bucks a pickup for pickups that sell for $100 brand new. I can't do that. Hell if the pickup is DOA, then you have to try and deal with a non dealer on a refund...may have to get ebay involved with it.
it has to be a better deal for me than that to risk it.
I have seen better ebay deals but right now there's nothing that appeals to me.
Actually guitar center has the best deals on Seymore Duncan pups right now...about them same price for new ones as the used ones on ebay.

Well, I ordered these pickups Friday and they arrived today. That's fast free shipping! From Minnesota to Ms in 2 business days.

The pickups were packed very well. The covers had plastic protection on them and when it came off it revealed a flawless mirror shine on the nickle. Very high end looking.

Here are some sound files of these pickups that I posted in the tone thread. in case anyone checking out this thread wants to hear them.
This is the clean sound
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4koycre89oyeev6/clean toneriders.wav?dl=0

A little ac/dc/style gain
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjlh1zrrqvtfryx/more gain toneriders.wav?dl=0

Allman brothers style clean lead
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfs0jf0c7lhm30j/clean lead tonerider.wav?dl=0

Higher gain rock lead
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vcme5whlc56upu/higher gain lead.wav?dl=0

Blues tone
https://www.dropbox.com/s/31w0lideddhnv4a/blues lead lead tonerider-01.wav?dl=0

Back