How would I know if I'd damaged my output transformer?

Mr songwriter

I normally run my DSL50 head through a 1 x 12" cab (which has one 8 ohm Celestion 70/80 in it) and though I've only had it for a couple of months, I'm pretty used to the way it sounds with all the usual settings that I use, anyway, the other day I decided to put it through the speaker in my Laney LC30 combo, which is an 8 ohm Celestion Century, I've done this before a few times because it sounds a bit better than the 70/80. The only problem is that rather than connect the speaker cable from the Century to the 8 ohm output on my DSL, I connected the 8 ohm output on my DSL to the internal cabinet output on my Laney (Fortunately, the Laney wasn't switched on and doesn't appear to have been affected in any way) As far as I can remember I switched the DSL into standby and left it like that for a minute or so (I'm pretty sure I realised what I'd done and switched it off before I got round to switching it out of standby) Anyway I was relieved to find that the amp still worked when I hooked it up properly, but I don't know whether it's my imagination, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't sound as nice since this happened - the OD sounds more raggedy and quite a bit more fizzy, espesh at higher volumes.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is:

Could doing what I've done damage the amp?

If so, would it affect the sound in the way I've described, or is it one of those things where it either works or it doesn't?

If it has been damaged what part would be the most likely and how much would it cost to fix?

Thanks in advance for any help

Don't worry, you should be OK. The PT doesn't see any power in standby mode, only the tubes heaters should be seeing power if you are in Standby.

No worries.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back