Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to get the "Great wall of distortion"

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've been screwing around with some recording options trying to get a really thick guitar sound..but can't seem to get the results i'm after...any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks

Thanks

Wink

what are you using?

Thanks

Wink

I have been trying a few different methods. I was micing and then double micing my lil' fender amp and panning them and eqing them a touch different. Or I was trying to record a guitar track and double it and placing one just a little off time w/ the other one. Do I have the right method just the wrong way of doing it? Or do i just need different kinda distortion? I tried my amp distortion and all the distortion on my Roland VS-880, and all the distortion plugins I can find.

Thanks

Cool

Just one word.....

........POD.

Thanks

Wink

What kind of guitar are you using?

My recording problem is too thick. I use a strat with a bridge humbucker, an old beatup peavey w/celestions, and a digitech (don't know the model off hand) rackmount processor.
    Along with a metal pedal.

Of course I don't use it all at once but it's still plenty fat. And oh yes you'll hear plenty about POD's here but I haven't used one yet.

Thanks

Wink

I use a Fender strat usually in the bridge position for distortion. I think part of my problem is that my pickups are 3 really hot single coil tex mex pickups. It sounds good..(I can cut through any mix with this guitar), but it's too thin sounding. If I try other pickup settings, my tone is a little too muddled for my tastes. I'm looking for a tone like the one in the Smashing Pumpkins album Siamese Dream. I guess i'll have ta screw around with doubling the guitars and the tone a little. Maybe some stereo fx or something....

[This message has been edited by brokenwindow (edited 04-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by brokenwindow (edited 04-06-2000).]

Thanks

Cool

Buy a Boogie - Live happily ever after!

foo

Thanks

Wink

I would say that you have some great ideas so far. I mean it is hard to get a sound to be exactly like the album you model after, but you are thinking and that is the key. If you just experiement, like doubling tracks, do one in the bridge pickup then turn up the lows and do one with the neck pickup, stuff like that. You also might want to change mic placement etc... Just keep playing with it. Remember if you can imagine it, you can do it...somehow.

MIKE

Thanks

Unhappy

I've found out through my years (44 today...ouch) that I can never quite get the same sound as many of my favorites. Don't have the same equipment or money to get the sound. And for the most part artists usually don't have the same sound live as they do in the studio. Keep plugging away and at some time you will find your groove.

Thanks

Wink

Try running your guitar signal thru 2-3 sources into different amps (maybe a Roland, POD, and Mesa Boogie or something) - Usually, by playing with EQ's and adding 2-3 guitars into the mix, you'll get a fat sound. (usually in the studio, you have to overdo what you would do live to make it work.)

Thread Information