how to fix loose whammy bar hole on floyd rose

The part of the floyd rose that the whammy screws into is loose, how do I fix this?
thanks

I recall that my brother, who is an auto mechanic, told me that when threads on an engine would strip out they would drill it out and install a thing called a 'heli-coil'. It was basically new threads that were tapped into the metal-check with an auto parts place and see if it would work for your purpose.
Sound like it is a possibility!:)

A Heli-Coil would be a PITA. You can't buy just one, so you'd be stuck getting about $200 worth of tools, or having somebody do it, which would probably be $70 minimum. That's assuming the insert for the trem is made such that it could be drilled out and re-tapped without destroying it.

I'm pretty sure all Floyds' bars are loosish.

A Heli-Coil would be a PITA. You can't buy just one, so you'd be stuck getting about $200 worth of tools, or having somebody do it, which would probably be $70 minimum. That's assuming the insert for the trem is made such that it could be drilled out and re-tapped without destroying it.

Yeah, my brother would have had the tools and all the stuff needed--time to block the Floyd Rose and make it a hard tail!;)

There are two locknuts inside the block. One adjusts the tension and the top nut locks it in place. PITA to get to with a wrench, so I use long nose pliers.

Mine works loose about once a year, so I reset that when I change strings.;)

There are a few types of Floyds. If it has the teflon rings on the trem arm replacing the rings can help as can tightening the trem arm receptor. You can use a dime for that. It has a slotted nut that can be adjusted to keep the trem arm tight.

Lol. What? Most heli-coil kits come with the inserts, tap, installation tool, and sometimes the drill bit for less than 20 bucks. If you have a drill and half a brain, you can use heli-coils. I don't know if they will fix this guys problem, but I use heli-coils all the time and they work awesome.

Back