horrible buzzing

Skyline609

My acoustic is sick. The problem is that i have a horrible buzzing on the 7th fret of the low E string, and around 12 and 13 things really get messed up. However the rest of the guitar sounds fine. The only way to eliminate the buzz is to press REALLY hard, which is unrealistically annoying. Im figuring this might be a truss rod adjustment problem>? or is it? can someone help me fix this??

Skyline609:

Could be a truss rod problem. Answer me this: have you switched to a different gauge of strings lately, or before you noticed the buzzing? See, if you change string gauges you also change the tension on the neck - for which the truss rod is there to provide compensation. This can usually be fixed by a simple turn of the truss rod...not too much though; you don't want the rod popping out of the back of your neck.

It could also be due to exposure to excess humidity or aridness and/or some sort of lame wood used to constuct the neck. In which case you may need the services of a luthier.

dmc

thanks dmc,
ive had this problem in the 12 and 13 frets for a while now but its just recently where i have noticed the new area. I havent changed gauges ever and have always been using lights. The guitar is fairly new, about 2 years old. I hope its nothing major.

Don't panic, this happens even to the best acoustics. Since you're In Jersey, you probably have the heat cranked to 10 like we do so the wood of the guitar is constantly expanding and contracting because of temperature and humidity changes. A fret dressing and set up will solve the buzzing(My acoustic is in the shop as we speek for the same thing)The frets are filed to exactly the same height and crowned. Try 12fret.com This guitar site lists the prices for these types of things(prices in Cdn$$ though).
Ramble on......

Back