Hofner B Bass

Snowman999

Back in the early 80s, my girlfriend bought me a Fender Precision. I think it's a 77 or 78. It was used, and $200. When we moved to Jersey in 1999 I brought it to a "professional" to have it set up. The person came highly recommended. When I went to pick it up he tells me "I snapped the neck. I gave you an extra set of strings." For some crazy reason, I didn't even argue. I just accepted it, and I PAID. How fucking stupid am I?

The bass plays fine. But, the strings are just too far off the neck for me to enjoy playing it anymore. Today I finally bought a new/used bass. The Hofner B Bass. I've played them in Sam Ash and at the guy's house. It sounds great to me. I love the frets aren't as large as the P (I have small hands). I'm looking forward to recording with it.

I'm just curious. People buy these, and I see them for sale all the time. Is there something I don't know about them? Do they fall apart easily?

I had a '65 500/1 RH model and played that at gigs regularly. If I recall correctly, the newer versions are constructed slightly different, the neck attachment mainly, I think. You can't just slap any old strings on it - must be correct length and gauge.

The only problem I had was the screws holding the "floating" pick-guard kept backing out. I never lost any but a couple dropped off in the case - so I just took the guard off and stored it.

For many years I played it through a Boss CS-2, then a CS-3 pedal which really allowed it to sing. That was through my Ampeg SVT 810, then later just the stage PA or FOH. Later, I put the Boss away and used a Roland GP-8 guitar rack processor into PA or FOH.

I had to sell it in 2009 :(

I had a '65 500/1 RH model and played that at gigs regularly. If I recall correctly, the newer versions are constructed slightly different, the neck attachment mainly, I think. You can't just slap any old strings on it - must be correct length and gauge.

The only problem I had was the screws holding the "floating" pick-guard kept backing out. I never lost any but a couple dropped off in the case - so I just took the guard off and stored it.

For many years I played it through a Boss CS-2, then a CS-3 pedal which really allowed it to sing. That was through my Ampeg SVT 810, then later just the stage PA or FOH. Later, I put the Boss away and used a Roland GP-8 guitar rack processor into PA or FOH.

I had to sell it in 2009 :(

You had a real one. It's a shame you had to sell it.

Most of my guitars are back from the 70s and 80s. A few go back to the 60s and 50s. I just think they took more pride in the workmanship. We did the Martin factory tour in PA. It's a great place. But, the majority of guitars are computer cut, and very factory line work. If you get a handmade Martin it's thousands more.

I can see this bass is nicely made. But, compared to a 60s model it's crap. For my purposes it's great. I'm using it to basement record. So, I'll go straight into the Mbox 2. I'm a simple old fashioned kind of player.

Back in the day, our lead guitarist/songwriter and I would work out songs in the living room of his townhouse - he on his Martin and me on my unplugged B-bass. These guitars have a nice resonance tone which comes through an amp as well.

I got mine used in '82 for $175 - perfect condition. I lined up a second one for $200 but the seller called and said he laid it across the arm of his sofa and sat on it. SNAP!

I had a 60's Jazz bass we recorded with, the B-bass was for gigs. If you get something recorded with yours and don't mind putting it up here in the MP3 Mixing Clinic, I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

Back in the day, our lead guitarist/songwriter and I would work out songs in the living room of his townhouse - he on his Martin and me on my unplugged B-bass. These guitars have a nice resonance tone which comes through an amp as well.

I got mine used in '82 for $175 - perfect condition. I lined up a second one for $200 but the seller called and said he laid it across the arm of his sofa and sat on it. SNAP!

I had a 60's Jazz bass we recorded with, the B-bass was for gigs. If you get something recorded with yours and don't mind putting it up here in the MP3 Mixing Clinic, I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

I absolutely will. I'm working on a song right now. I don't even know if I'm playing chords. I think it either some sort of F or G. Maybe both. When I work it out, I'll put it up.

I don't know if a B-Bass is the same thing, but I own a Hofner Ignition Series Bass guitar, and I bought it because of the short scale length... but I'm not really a fan of it. I think my playing is too "hard" and therefore the Hofner feels "clanky" to me... I much prefer my "solid" feeling P-Bass style guitars. The only real use I've had for my Hofner is for recording "phone memo ideas" as it sounds pretty good as an "acoustic bass" being that it's so bright and "clanky".

I don't know if a B-Bass is the same thing, but I own a Hofner Ignition Series Bass guitar, and I bought it because of the short scale length... but I'm not really a fan of it. I think my playing is too "hard" and therefore the Hofner feels "clanky" to me... I much prefer my "solid" feeling P-Bass style guitars. The only real use I've had for my Hofner is for recording "phone memo ideas" as it sounds pretty good as an "acoustic bass" being that it's so bright and "clanky".

Unfortunately I don't have a great amount of space, and I do have a tendency to bump into things when wearing an instrument. I know exactly what you mean about this bass. I know I'm going to have to be careful, it feels like it could snap if you move wrong. Where you could crack someone's head open if you hit them with a P. The quality is not there. Hopefully the sound will be. If I can duplicate what I did in Sam Ash and the seller's house, I'm gonna be thrilled.

I chose the Hofner for the short scale. I'm able to sit at my crappy laptop with a video of me playing my new song on acoustic, and without an amp play along on the Hofner.

I also have to say, listening to McCartney on Beatles songs, it's a great sounding bass. Yes, I know, it's the Beatles and George Martin and the finest in equipment. But still, if you can duplicate it a little, you're doing OK.

My old B-bass was light as a feather.. like balsa wood light. It did take some getting used to after a Jazz and P bass so that I didn't smack it into something.

You shouldn't have a problem getting professional results with today's recording gear and your new bass.

This is the beginnings of a new song. 1.5 acoustic guitars, hofner bass (cranked a little to hear it fully) There's no effect or eq on either. It's a great sounding bass. I have to do the track again, with a little more style. But, that'll be after I have the vocal track down.

I did do the bass track duplication and the EQ, and it sounds as good as my Precision (IMO). But, I removed the dupe and EQ for this, since you wanted to hear how the bass sounds. It sound GOOD. Just not my playing yet.

Dropbox - Bass Heavy.mp3 - Simplify your life

When you get playing around the middle of the neck it really starts to sing :listeningmusic: I miss those sounds. I've tried several acoustic/electric bass guitars and they don't come close - actually, I dislike their tonal qualities.

When you get playing around the middle of the neck it really starts to sing :listeningmusic: I miss those sounds. I've tried several acoustic/electric bass guitars and they don't come close - actually, I dislike their tonal qualities.

Thanks. I have to say, I've never heard a record or song where the bass sounded bad to me. Maybe because it's not suppose to be upfront. As long as I can hear it, and it's not popping up and down, I'm fine.

Here's some Hofner for ya..

This concert was originally available on YouTube in it's entirety. Now it's all chopped up into segments that are hard to find. This particular version is the best as it's filmed as a movie - has the best sound quality.

p.s. Abraham "Abe" Laboriel Jr. is a killer drummer

I have a Hofner Ignition B bass and I just love it. A couple of years ago I played with some guys who were playing high priced guitars, one was playing a Les Paul, one an American Strat, and the other had some other high priced guitar, I don't remember what it was. Anyway, my Ignition bass was every bit as great sounding and performing as those high price guitars. Being a guitar player of more than fifty years the short scale of the Ignition bass is very comfortable.

Last edited:
Being a big old Beatles fan I bought a Ric 325 Miami edition (not cheap) and a Hofner Ignition B-bass (fairly cheap) to basically hang on the wall in my "studio". I just had to have them...you know? I have lots of other popular guitars and the Ric 325 is a VERY short scale guitar and fairly difficult to play IMO.....but does have that chimey Beatles sound through my Vox. While I do play guitar....I'm not a bass player at all so the B bass hung on the wall for years until a friend of mine who plays bass took it down to try it out. I was actually blown away by the sound and tone...especially played by an excellent player. He had done a number of my bass tracks previously and has since done a few with the Hofner. Love the sound...and that bass seems to be VERY versatile. It sounds great on lots of different genres. That old Beatles magic lives on.

Back