Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: highway 1 tele vs american tele

Thanks

highway 1 tele vs american tele

Sign in to disable this ad
    whats the difference with the highway 1 tele and the american tele?? why is the highway so much cheaper?

thanks

Thanks
    Besides the satin finish, the Highway series guitars also use all the same hardware, pickups, bridge, and tuners as the Mexican made Fenders.

H2H

Thanks
    wait... so the only difference between the tele highway and the standard tele is the finish?

I know that the bridge saddles are different for sure... but i thought the highway had better hardware?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by n8tron
    wait... so the only difference between the tele highway and the standard tele is the finish?

I know that the bridge saddles are different for sure... but i thought the highway had better hardware?
    It's essentially a MIM "Classic" with a much cheaper finish done in the US.

It has virtually nothing in common with an "American" series, despite much false advertising by Musician's Friend and others (same goes for all in the H1 series).

Also exaggerated is the MIA-ness of the instrument.

Compare parts lists between various models on the Fender site (linked to old MrGearHead.Com).

Thanks
    Bongolation is right, they're essentially a Mexican Deluxe guitar with a body painted satin in the US...thats about it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I bought a Hwy1 Tele in sunburst brand new last year. It was a pretty nice guitar. I liked the finish and I thought it played and sounded great. But don't be fooled by the American-ness of the guitar. I only sold it because my 2 Strats covered that tonal range for me. I didn't need the extra twang of the Tele in my setup.

H2H

Thanks

not THAT mexican

Actually the highway model of the tele is not a mostly mexican part model. In particular the neck is virtually identical to the american standard (save for some finishing of the medium jumbo frets) including the finish. The pickups are not of the mexican ceramic-based-magnet variety but are actually very similar to the vintage pickups on the '52 reissue. Play a highway & a mexi back to back & you will hear a pronounced differencen (namely less 60 cycle hum). The bridge is closer to the mexican 50's reissue than the mexican standard. Ultimately if you play rock you may like the highway better than an american standard. It's much less harsh in the top end. Dial the tone knob down about 45 degrees for an almost les paul-esqe honk.
    -small

Kansas City... Where there are no smart rockers.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard2Hear
    Besides the satin finish, the Highway series guitars also use all the same hardware, pickups, bridge, and tuners as the Mexican made Fenders.

H2H

I used to work for a Fender dealer and no, they aren't like the mexican models. The cost difference is mostly about the pickups and the finish.

The mexican models are almost identical to the american models in that the materials they use are IDENTICAL... ...EXCEPT... In the mexican models, the pickups are ceramic-based, as was said earlier, and of course the craftsmanship is lacking, and another big difference is that even though the body is made of the same wood selection, it's more like 5-7 pieces rather than 2-3 as in the american models.

The Highway One series is probably about the same level of craftsmanship as the mexican model(frets aren't as finished, etc.) but, the pickups are alnico-based like the american model.
    www.myspace.com/musicbymicah

www.myspace.com/inthefire

Thanks
    Then your dealer was telling you to tell lies.

Its simple. Go to the old mr Gearhead site and look at the Fender Part Numbers for each part. The Highway1 (Strts OR Teles) share all hardware AND pickups with the MIM Classic and Deluxe guitars. Period.

H2H

Kansas City... Where there are no smart rockers.
    Thanks
    Okay. So, the Fender rep was telling us lies.
    www.myspace.com/musicbymicah

www.myspace.com/inthefire

Thanks
    Ok, I'll make it easy for you.

Here is the parts list for a MIM "Classic 50's Stratocaster"
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...131002BPg3.pdf

Here's a MIM Classic 70's (note pickup codes are different for aged or non aged pickup set. This is identical to the Hwy1 pickups which are non aged):
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...137000APg3.pdf

Here is a parts list for the Highway1 Stratocaster:
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...111100APg3.pdf

read and compare for yourself. Straight from Fender.

H2H

Thread Information